Monday, April 30, 2007

What Kind of Funeral Do You Imagine

Which subject will it be today? There are many options floating around in my busy head. I suppose it best to begin where I left off, which would be at the beginning of last weekend. On Friday, I left work about 11:15 to ready ourselves to leave for the northern Chicago suburbs where Mary's wake and funeral would take place. There was a question early on whether or not it would be wisest to go to both or to attend the funeral only. Attending just the funeral on Saturday would eliminate a need for a place to stay the night on Friday, but at the same time take an opportunity from us to be a support to Craig and Kendra. We tossed the options forth and back several times and ended up deciding to be there for both occasions. I find myself being utterly lacking in confidence when it comes to wakes and funerals. I suppose it has to do with the unknown condition of the grieving. There are those nagging thoughts and concerns about how the family members will conduct themselves and what needs they will have. Then the big one, 'how can I be of benefit to those that mourn'? The worse scenario would be that we would be more baggage for the family. It is a balancing act; be there to comfort and support but not be an added burden for them. Kendra arranged a very comfortable place for us to stay the night with a teacher colleague. By the end of the day on Friday, both my husband and I realized we had done the right thing. We were able to share this sad side of life with Mary's husband and sons. We became more acquainted with Jerry's and Mary's families and friends, many of whom we had met at Kendra's and Craig's wedding two and a half years ago. It was good for all of us. Getting to know the Catham's better is to know our son-in-law better and that is a very good thing. The interesting thing about life is that the more one knows another, the more one finds in common with another. The day of the funeral dawned with a fog covering the earth. The bright spring sun soon burned it away and a beautiful day sprung forth. In spite of a cool beginning, the day warmed to 80 degrees. A day with bright sun and warm temperatures makes a cemetery experience much more tolerable. We laid Mary to rest in a country cemetery under the shade of oak trees and right in front of the graves of her two sons. Her beautiful casket set ready to be lowered to the ground. The kids had chosen a beautiful warm wood casket in which to place her remains. Its beauty was an honor to her. I took the opportunity to tell two of our older children who were with us not to spend the money on a fancy box for me. They made a few jokes about putting me in a pine box or maybe even a cardboard box. They don't realize it but the truth is that it doesn't matter to me now and certainly won't matter to me then.
Have you thought about your funeral? Earlier that day, as I sat in the new strikingly beautiful 10 million dollar Catholic church listening to the priest drone on in the formality costumary to the Catholic tradition, I mulled over what type of funeral I would choose if I could choose. My very close friend has had her funeral planned for years tweaking it as time goes by. It is very important to her that her funeral be a celebration of her life and of the everlasting life that God has prepared for her. I, too, wish for my funeral to be a celebration. I want to celebrate the faithfulness of God thoughout the years of my life. I want my funeral to be a living testimony of grace through the words of my husband, my children and grandchildren. I want my friends to have an opportunity to talk to those present about our good times, our bad times and the way we shared faith and encouraged one another. I want the living to sing celebrative songs; songs of praise to God who was there when I was conceived, born, lived and died. I want the God who never gave up on me to be thanked and recognized as the power that was at work in me. Praise to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

No comments: