Monday, April 16, 2007

With Which Kingdom Are You Aligned?

On my way into work this morning, I listened to an excerpt from a speech given by Guy Doud, the l987 National Teacher of the Year. Many years ago when I worked at the middle school, one of his videos was played for a teacher's meeting. At the time I was so impressed that the public school would allow a Christian man such as Mr Doud to address a teacher's meeting. Listening to him today reminded me of all the good things the man has to say about today's youth and public education. While he told his stories about his interaction with students in his class, my mind was drawn to students that I have in my class everyday. He told about a boy who didn't fit in well in any "group" of kids and the pain he felt for the boy. His solution was to come to work a few minutes early each morning, sit in the boy's chair and pray for him. I immediately thought of a boy who has been coming to my resource room for three years. When I first knew him, his emotional stability was very shaky. He got in scrapes with other kids because he would retaliate at the abuse other kids flung his way. It was pretty sad. I recall one day when he came into the room at a time he was supposed to be in a class, walked back to a computer, sat down and began to type the message he wanted me to get. He was so angy he couldn't talk to me, he had to communicate through the computer. I stood behind him and spoke to his writings. He had had a dispute with a student, shoved her and now had come to my room for protection and refuge. He knew he was in big trouble and now he was adding to it by being out of area. While we were chatting, our vice principal entered the room. With a military background, he weilded a very strong arm. There was little empathy in his voice or mannerism. He, too, was a Christian, but he saw things so differently than I did when it came to David. (Not his real name). You see, David had confided his inner most feelings with me. I knew his insecurities, his testimony that he was not liked by anyone and had no friends. This fifteen year old boy would weep as he talked about the lack of respect he got from his peers. My working partner and I began showing David our love and interest. We began to pray for him as well. David has made so much progress in the years we have known him. He remains a kid with few friends, but he has gained much in confidence. Two months ago, he was student of the month in the technology department. You would have thought he was student of the year. That award probably validated his entire high school career for him. David has learned that when he gets teased or frustrated, he can come to our room and spout off and cool off. About a year ago, he began attending my partner's church's youth group. Now he attends church on Sundays as well. I truly believe David's heart has been changed and that he now knows he can take all his hurts and pain and lay them at the foot of the cross of Jesus. In the lives of many of my students I have learned as has Mr. Doud that a little kindness goes a long way in salving the hearts of those that for one reason or another are out of the accepted loop. Society is so tough on those that are just a bit different. It doesn't seem to matter what that difference may be, we, like those in the animal kingdom, pick on the less than perfect. In the kingdom of God, we are called to do just the opposite. Love. Accept. Love. Accept. Love.

No comments: