Friday, May 11, 2007

All Moms Receive a Place of Honor

It's a beautiful sunny Friday and payday. Does it get better than this? I just received a call from our youngest daughter that she and her husband will come for Mother's Day. So far, that makes our number about seventeen for Sunday dinner. The challenge of a hostess is decide on a menu. That is difficult for me to do until the last minute. For my step mother, my last minute ways are concerning. She asked what she may bring some days ago and I haven't gotten back to her yet. I know she is waiting and probably rather impatiently. She is one of the world's greatest cooks and hostesses so she eagerly offers her services which I appreciate. We know we can always count on her for pickled beets which some of the family love and others don't touch. Those that love them have a standing request for them to be included in the meal plan. Because it is such nice weather, a cook out seems appropriate. Last Sunday our son cooked chicken on the grill. It was especially good. His wife had boiled it in lemon juice and water until it was just white on the outside. Then John put it on the grill and rubbed it with the juices as it cooked. The chicken was so tender it melted in our mouths. It also had a lovely lemony flavor. So, I think it is going to be chicken breast on the grill. I also have some Polish sausage in the freezer that we will cook up along with some hotdogs. My husband knows that today it is his job to make the potato salad. Our potato salad is known by many to be very good. I learned to make it from my mother and have since taught several of our children and my husband to make the same recipe. Actually, the amounts are not written any where. Our recipe is in our heads and in our habits. My mother used to say that the trick to potato salad was to mix it while the ingredients were still warm. I think she had a point there. The flavors seem to blend together in a way that they don't if all the ingredients are cold.
Now I have the main entrees decided. I will ask Grandma to bring some fresh asparagus as that is the local vegetable in season now. She always cooks it just right. Fresh asparagus will also bring a smile to some of my out of town kids who will be in attendance. If I add a salad, get some KFC cole slaw, run to Cosco for one of their good desserts, the dinner will be successfully delicious. I will be busy but won't have put a ridiculous amount of work into as has been my habit in the past. I'm learning. One my married daughters said to me this week, "I'm a mother, too". Hmmm, I guess that meant she didn't want to cook because she is also a guest of honor. Well, with the meal nearly ready to put on the table, we can have a wonderful meal with a little work by a few because many hands make light work. All the moms present can enjoy their place of honor. Being a mom/dad is one of greatest blessings of life. May all the moms in my area of influence enjoy a beautiful Mother's Day as her children rise up and call her blessed.

No comments: