Saturday, June 23, 2007

Never Give Up

Things are still as dry as cork. But it looks mighty cloudy out there so perhaps, today will be the day.

Last evening we enjoyed getting take-out from Pizza Hut with our daughter's family. The kids decided they liked the new P-zones so that was the basic menu. I stuck with my usual salad in hopes of it being more on the "healthy" side. While we talked, the subject of the "Dadisms" came up and we all sat trying to remember more of them. After many smiles and chuckles, we succeeded and added those newly remembered ones to yesterday's list.

During our evening together Lauri asked how in the world I had so much to say to a computer. I guess I've been practicing preaching sermons in my head for so many years, it just comes naturally. I always wanted to be a missionary and mary a preacher. I struck out on the second one but I suppose all of Christ's followers could say they are missionaries so the first goal is being accomplished. Not accomplished, though, in the way I dreamed of when I was a little girl. I remember writing to a woman missionary from the church of my youth. She served in Africa and I was so impressed with her work. I was deeply impressed with my uncle who was also a missionary to Africa. He and my aunt served fifteen years there and raised six boys in Nigeria.

As my life played out, my mission field would be my own home. We brought four children into our home who were already beyond toddler age. They ranged from six to twelve years of age upon arrival. Some would look at such an act and say that was very risky. Risky, indeed, if one places all the responsibility on him or herself. It was our thought and belief that it was God at work in those adoptions. We were not acting on our own decision or abilities. I always asked God to multiply and bless the things I was doing right with both our biological children and our adopted children and to NEGATE that which I did wrong.

I was looking through some old journal entries a few days ago and came upon some entries regarding our adopted son, Joshua. He and his biological sister, Jennifer, came to our family together. Jennifer had been exposed to Christianity through vacation Bible school in Korea but Josh seemed to not have much exposure. Jennifer seemed to have no problem with our beliefs and though she struggled later in life, she didn't express doubt. Our eldest son, John, who is now a pastor was already in that mode back then. He discussed faith with this little nine year old many times. One night, Josh came to me and asked if Jesus forgives sins. I told he that He did. He asked if Jesus forgives anyone's sin and I assured him that was true. At that point, the Holy Spirit urged me to take this moment of opportunity. I asked him if he would like to ask Jesus to forgive his sins. He was so eager. So, together, we went to the side of my bed and I lead Joshua in a prayer of repentance and acceptance.

Joshua has always been good with money. He knows how to make it. On the other hand, Joshua is so generous. That generosity was evident was back then. He delivered the Grit newspaper on Saturdays and made a little money that way. On Sunday mornings, he would plunk his dime or quarter into the offering plate with such pride. He took to tithing like a fish to water.

Josh went through many times in his young adulthood when his faith lay dormant. Life's experiences had been tough and there were many times of questioning and also times of walking in the other direction. Josh would readily admit that. About a year and a half ago, Josh's faith came full circle. He saw with clarity that it was time to live life God's way and to welcome God's faithfulness into his life.

I see our family as a missionary family because of experiences like the one with our precious Joshua. Was it our work? No, it was the work of the Holy Spirit, but again, I like to believe that we cooperated with Him. Our cooperation included loving Joshua and all the rest of our kids without condition. Taking them to church regularly, praying for them, involving them in the family of God and waiting on God to act is a parent's role.

Never give up on the salvation of a child. Love them no matter what. Walk in exemplary ways. Show them Jesus through your life. No, you can't do it perfectly, neither can I. Pray for the Spirit to churn in them and light a fire of desire for righteousness.

The following are some names of children. They are adult children of people I know and love and these children need God's saving grace in their lives. They need to fall in surrender to the teachings of their parents and put their faith in Jesus Christ.

Troy
Scott
Joel
Kelly
John
Scarlen
Aaron
Tara

Lord, those who are reading this list of names and believe in your saving power for salvation, join me in lifting each of these precious ones to you. Stir in them a desire to know you. Reach down to each of them in their individual needs and situations and cut through all former pain, doubt, behavior and rebellion. Save them from themselves in the name of Jesus. You will receive all the praise and glory. Amen

P.S. I just walked into the car for my Bible and guess what? I could hear that rain on the roof. It is raining! Thank you, Father.

No comments: