Thursday, June 21, 2007

Send The Rain, Lord

Psalm 24 was one of those that I learned by memory way back in one of the lower grades in De Motte Christitan School. It's first verse, is such a comfort to me. The earth is the Lord's and the FULNESS thereof and all who dwell therein.

At present, we need rain so badly. It has rained all around us but we have gotten only a smidgen. A town twenty miles to the south of us got three inches a few nights ago. Neither my husband or I are farmers but my heart goes out to farmers who live all about me. My dad is a farmer at heart and owns some farm ground. Even at 87 he maintains a beautfully kept garden and it is the pride of his summertime. My brother farms some of my father's ground so last evening as we visited in my father's home, there was much talk about the need for rain.

Driving through the country side, I see beautiful corn fields. The crops are far ahead of their normal growth at this time of year. Much of the corn is about to tassel. It used to be said that corn should be "knee high by the fourth of July". That certainly doesn't apply this year. On these hot days the leaves of corn are curled into themselves to prevent further moisture loss. That is a pitiful sight to me. A sight that also reminds me that God has given even the fields of the earth wisdom. Plants know how to protect themselves. Its an awesome thing to behold.

My dad told me that his rose bushes are difficult to keep standing right now. He props them but they don't have enough moisture in them to stand. I wonder if he needs some help in getting water to them. I didn't think about that last night, but that is something I could ask. He loves to nurture his roses and bring a blossom a day to his wife. There is still romance in that man's heart.

It is comforting to me that God tells us in His Word that this earth is His and everything in it. He knows about the curling corn and the wilted roses and the dust on the ground, he sees the yellowed and prickly grass. He knows the needs of this earth, even right here in our little town. I implore Him for His mercy. The weather forcast says we may have a chance of rain today. May it be so.

No comments: