Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Souvenirs

It seems each time my daughter goes away without her children, she brings each of the four of them a "souvenir" when she returns. They have come to expect the little pleasantries and come to stand at the door when she returns just full of anticipation of the special thing that will fill their heart with joy. As I observe this, I notice that it is my daughter's giving heart in motion. She has looked for just the right trinket for each child. It is her parental love in action.

I remember being the child with anticipation, also. When my parents went on trips without us, which was seldom, but it did happen, it excited me with each thought of their return because I knew they would have something to warm my heart. Whatever it was would say that thought of me while they were gone and that I was special to them. I can't say I remember any of those trinkets, only the love that was connected to them.

I do remember some souvenirs, however. The ones I remember are the ones I chose myself in my travels. On one of my first trips west with my parents, they purchased for me two fiction books I chose as my take home remembrance. They were about the bears in Yellowstone Park. I remember the specialness they were to me and how I protected those prizes. I remember the feel of their covers and their familiar book smell. I kept them for many years, probably thirty or forty years. I think I stupidly put them on a garage sale one time.

My uncle and aunt served on the mission field in Nigeria for many years during the time I was growing up. Every two and a half years, they came home for six months of forlough. How we longed for those times when we could see those precious people. One time they brought me a souvenir of a black wooden mask. It was so typically African and I treasured it. It hung on a wall in my home for many years until one day when it fell to the floor and broke in two.

On another occasion, they brought me a silver bracelet with several squares of silver tied together. In each square was a beautiful blue stone that shimmers with irredicent colors. I was so touched by such a special gift. I have it today and still enjoy wearing it from time to time. My aunt and uncle have been in the states now for years and years. Just the last time I visited their home a few months ago, Uncle Bob reached somewhere into his desk and pulled out a letter opener made of the same wood of which the mask had been made. His question to me was, "Did I ever give you a souvenir of Africa?" I confessed the broken mask as he put the letter opener in my hand. That letter opener is right next to me on the computer desk.

When we first became members of the church we attend, we enjoyed the ministry of a special minister and his wife. They have traveled extensively. Since the Netherlands is the place of his birth, they have made many trips there. On their return from one of those trips, they brought me two decorative tiles with Dutch words on them. They are words of the truth of God. I treasure those sovenirs. They are on display in my home.

On a trip to Korea in the late seventies, I found all kinds of goodies to take home. A beautiful satiny looking comforter that I had to buy another bag in which to carry it home. Brass bells were everywhere so I took some of those home. They still lie in a drawer. I also brought home a tradional Korean costume for our Korean son. That hangs in one of our closets. A small house carved of wood fashioned after a traditional thatched roofed home also found its way to this address. Our young son had shared with us that he had lived in a house with a straw roof so I couldn't leave that in Korea. Souvenirs were abundant in Korea.

I recall that on one trip my husband and I took to the southwest, we came upon an outdoor market in the middle of some mountains. Indians had set up little roofs over posts to shade themselves from the sun. There they set out their wares. I fell in love with a wonderful Navajo blanket at one women's shanty. It was in shades of browns, black and white. Those are my favorite colors. I paced for several minutes to determine if spending one hundred dollars on such a thing was good stewardship. In the end, I took the plunge. It was my souvenir from the southwest and became one of my prize possesions for many years until a dog (those darn dogs, not one has done us any good) chewed off all its fringe. Discouraged, I discarded it.

Very soon, God-willing, we will leave on our trip to the northwest. I have been there several times before and know already the souvenir temptations that will be out there. I anticipate looking into glass cases filled with Black Hills gold jewelry. It always looks better there than it does when I look at it in my drawer. I know there will be wonderful things in the gift stores of the national parks. They have the most unique books and I'm tempted each time. I have determined in a non conclusive way that I will not take souvenirs home with me this time. I have so much "stuff". I have seen all those things that will be presented to me. I know that I can live without them so I am already planning to enjoy an eye feast and leave them there. We will see how successful I will be.

Getting back to my daughter and her desire to please her children, I see God in her when she wants to be generous with her children. God never goes away from his children so the analogy ends quickly. However, even in His constant abiding with us, He wants to please and give to us the joys that are His. Each day He stands with something in His hand for us. On a foundational basis, it is faithfulness and truth. In addition to those wonderful gifts, He gives us this beautiful creation to enjoy each day. He also gives us material trinkets to enjoy. Just as my grandchildren are thrilled at the moment and two days later have forgotten what the trinket was, we forget very quickly, the material gifts God bestows on us. Look around you today. Ask God to help you take notice of His goodness to you. Just as my grandchildren feel the love of their mother in her giving, you and I can feel the love of our heavenly Father as we enjoy the little surprises He gives us each day.

No comments: