Friday, June 8, 2007

There is a Creator God-My Garden Proves It

I haven't planted any annuals in my gardens this year. There is no time to garden when I'm teaching and by the time I got out of school, it seemed the time to plant annuals was past. Oh, I now there is still time, but I'm considering the fact that we are going to be gone two weeks in July. I don't want to pass the responsibility of caring for my flowers onto someone else. I have a gazillion perrenials in my gardens and they will have to supply me with oohs and aahs this year. The neat thing about perrenials is that they come up every year and get thicker and more lush each year. They take turns blooming as well so that there is rarely a time when nothing is blooming. At present there are still a couple of late salmon colored irises to thrill me. There are some blooming bushes that are profuse with white blossoms as well though I don't recall the name of the bush. Doesn't matter if I remember its name or not, it still blooms. A few peonies are in bud yet though most of those have already had their day in the sun. Bright yellow sundrops are in their full glory as well as my eight blooming red hot pokers. I am intriqued with those pokers. They are so unique. It is just thrill personified to stand and behold the magnificience in God's creation revealed in that bloom. Coreopsis are just beginning to shine their bright cherry yellows. Some of my favorite plants in the garden are those with varigated green leaves. One leaf may have two to four shades of color or more. That in itself is blossom to me. Those of that nature would be some varieties of hostas, chameleons, grasses, weigela bushes, ground covers, mugworts and others. There are the plants with purple leaves as well. Smoke plant is a favorite of mine. My smoke plant needs to be moved because it is being choked out by some other ambitious bushes and because I'm the only one who knows where it is, I'm the only one who can see it at this point. My ferns and dozens of hosta varieties as well as lamb's ear all add delightful variety in their particular leaf design and texture. God is never more amazing to me than in His gardens. Last fall when I was sick, my greatest fear was that I would not be able to garden again. All winter, each time I thought of my gardens, I got overwhelmed. The biggest garden had become overgrown and out of control. Once my husband took the mower to it this spring, I felt things were hopeful again. I think that may also have been one of the reasons I didn't get excited about planting annuals this year. Just didn't have enough confidence in my endurance, but in God's grace, my energy and strength have returned and I can do what I thought I couldn't. I praise Him for that. It's taking me a bit longer this year to get all the gardens cleaned and presentable but I'm on my way. If they are only beautiful for me, it is worth the effort.

No comments: