Friday, June 1, 2007

Time Will Tell

One of my students is presently singing, "Hallelujah, hallelujah, school's out". A wee bit sacreligious, I suppose, but the senitment is one of my heart as well. As my time ticker indicates, this is the last day of school. Staff has to return on Monday to close up shop.

We have a major building renuvation going on presently and through the end of summer. A geothermal heating and cooling system is being installed. That is requiring the digging of between fifty and sixty wells in the front of our school. Because there is much inside work that is going to be done, we must pack up ALL our things and remove what is personal and cover everything that isn't boxed or covered with visquine. Quite a big assignment.
I just took a walk down the hall and the sights were interesting. Even though the construction men have been working in the building for about two months, one can tell they are chomping at the bit for all the students and staff to get out of their way. Sitting at a big table in the social studies office is a man
studying a huge blue print. Another man with a flowing white beard wearing a mesh baseball cap was carrying a different large blueprint which flowed like a flag as he walked down the hall.

There are gigantic pieces of equipement outside the front door. I'm guessing those will be installed as soon as we are gone. I don't think they will make the school look very presentable for the graduation weekend.

This project is absolutely major. I don't recall the amount of money that is being spent but I'm assuming it will be beyond my understanding. The corporation superintendent addressed the staff at the beginning of the project and said this was the only way to go. Unfortunately, he didn't convince me. We had a geothermal cooling system in our home for many years. I am sure this one is much more modern and cost effective but I only have our experience from which to draw comparison. I'm not sold. However, I hope the system is the answer to many years of hot rooms in the winter and cold rooms in the summer in this building. To say it has been difficult to know how to dress would be an understatement.

All of this activity and these requirements have taken my attention off the fact that this may have been my last year of full time work here at the school. While I'm not totally convinced about my retirement, I know that if I do come back, it will be only one more year. I also realize that the school is changing the position I fill so I would be doing different things than I do now and also work different hours than I do now. I will see how the first month of summer vacation goes and then evaluate so the inevitable decision can be made. Do I return or do I not? That will be the question I ponder for the next few weeks.

There are times I wish the Lord would write my direction on the wall. Have you felt that way, too? Perhaps this issue isn't as big as I'm making it so he is letting me struggle with the decision. I have never planned to get my fulfillment through a profession though I wish I had finished college. (I would have made twice the money as I did without one) Each time I considered going back to school, my family responsibilities loomed larger than an education. Family responsibilities are less now. Perhaps I can return to school in my retirement. That sounds like fun! Sitting in a rocker on the front porch sounds good, too. Time will tell....

No comments: