Friday, June 29, 2007

Unexpected Sightings

Coincidently, while I was shopping in Hobby Lobby yesterday, I recognized a lady pushing a cart through the aisle in which I was browsing . I couldn't remember her name, but the face was familiar. I bravely said, "That is a Recker (my maiden name) face if I ever saw one". Her face lit up and she smiled broadly and said, "Yes, I have Recker blood in me". It was one of my father's cousins, her mother being a sister to my father's father. I recognized her face as one that I had seen in family reunions from the past. Because I am the first of my generation, most of my dad's gazillion cousins know my face when they see it. She said, I know you are Gayle but I don't remember your last name. I confessed that I didn't remember either her first or last name. She was Barb Smits Lanninga. Amazingly, it is easy for me to converse with someone I know is kin. We chatted for probably fifteen minutes among the goods in the clearance aisle. I told her that I found it interesting that I had just written about our common ancestry in my blog.

Just last Sunday evening, a young gal from our church approached me following the service and said, "Guess who I work with." I had no clue. She said she worked with Amy Turner. Amy is a gal who is very dear to us. When she was about four or five, I began to baby sit for her and her disabled sister. Her sister had a brain disease and was troubled with seizures. Amy and I grew very close over the few years in which we spent nearly a day to day relationship. While Amy's sister's condition and needs sucked the energy out of their mother, it seemed that Amy was left without much attention. I suppose I tried to fill that void. I began to love her as a familiy member. Amy is twenty three now and working as a CNA and will return to school for nursing (her mother's profession) in August. My church friend told me that Amy was wonderful at her job and that she was very much appreciated. Those words were sweet music to my ears. As we parted, I asked my friend to give Amy a big hug for me and to remind her that I love her. I hadn't seen Amy in several years and had lost track of her so just knowing she was well was balm to my soul.

On Monday morning, my husband and I went to the hardware store in town. We were admiring something on display outside the door. My husband had his hand on the exit door and I could vaguely see a body standing on the other side waiting to open the door until he moved . I drew his attention to the person's need for him to move. As he stepped aside, the door opened and it was Amy. What a thrill and surprise! As I began to tell her about my church friend's message to me she said, "Oh yes, Beth told me and she gave me a big hug from you." We embraced in a person to person hug and enjoyed a few moments of "catching up". I wish my dear Amy the best of God's richest blessings in life. One of my best memories with Amy was when I read, "The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe" to her. She caught the sprirital analogies as quick as a wink. What a thrill to hear that little girl relate to the Biblical messages that C.S. Lewis was trying to get across.

So two surprises in one week. What fun. The thought crossed my mind that God gave me those people sightings as a gift. Both people were spoken of the day before I met them and came out of the blue. It was if God wanted me to renew those relationships. I thank him for those two special moments.

Psalm 5:11

No comments: