Friday, August 10, 2007

Bear's Training Camp

Our plan was to attend the Bear's Training Camp today. There was a scheduled practice on their internet website for today. We have talked this trip up to our little kids for days and all these Bear fans were hyped. Yesterday afternoon, Lauri checked the schedule one more time only to find they had cancelled today's practice. Fortunately, if we acted fast we could save the day because they had a practice last night at seven. We hurried and scurried to ready gazillion sandwiches and get all the troops ready to leave. We made the practice on time but learned we should have arrived earlier because there were so many activities for kids that we didn't get time for them to do. We also relearned something we have learned before which is that it is very difficult to keep track of family children at a thing where there are so many people. This was our first visit to the Bear's camp and I thought we may be out there with twenty or at the most fifty people. Was I in for a shock. There were probably a few thousand people there to watch some guys in blue and orange uniforms run across a field. I commented to my son that I wasn't impressed with the work they did in their practice. He had to agree that it was a movement practice rather than a contact practice. All in all, the weather was perfect ( a bit humid but then it's August). We enjoyed the sunset and felt the cool breeze on our damp skin. The kids all had a great time playing with each other and enjoying some of the things the camp provides to "condidion" kids for football. Our adult kids were glued to the fence taking pics of this and that player and of course, Lovey Smith. To be honest, he was the only one I could pick out. I'm not a football fan but I must be in the wrong family because the rest are wild about football.

I am always amazed at how much work it is to get this large group somewhere and also a challenge to feed them all. I think everyone's appetite is greater when they are together. Lauri and I thought we had made enough sandwiches for our army for our picnic at the Bear's camp but when the sandwiches were gone, some where still looking for more. Both of us looked at each other in shocked unbelief. How could we run out of sandwiches? Today, I ready. I have three cassoroles ready for the oven, a crock pot of meat balls, two jello salads, a green salad, and a big bowl of chocolate pudding. We're going to eat that for a late lunch since everyone ate breakfast late. I'm hoping it fills everyone's stomach. Lauri and I talked this morning and decided to order pizza for tonight, have pork chops to eat after our town's festival parade tomorrow. Sunday's menu is broiled tilapia and shrimp kabobs. Anyone hungry? You are welcome to join us, the more the merrier.

In between the activity I slipped away for a funeral this morning. The woman was only 48 years old and was a single gal. I have known her family for my entire life and felt I needed to make my concern known. As I sat there and looked around at the crowd, it occured to me that the guy across the aisle, approximately six or seven years older than me, had aged. He had hearing aids in his ears. Sometimes those things shock me. Everyone gets old but me, right? I looked at a lady who had been my Sunday School teacher when I was a young girl. I remember thinking then that she must not have known much about families cause she only had one son. I have to laugh at myself. Where did I get such an idea? She knew plenty about the hearts of young girls though. I remember her being a stern teacher but when she gave each of us padded perfumed patterned clothes hangers for Christmas she won my heart forever. I won't forget the thrill of getting such a grown up gift. Even today I can feel the excitement of opening that box.

I'm sitting in this house all alone. Ken has gone to a business appointment and everyone else went to visit at Lauri's house. The silence is deafening. I must get over there too so I don't miss out on any of the fun. I will take along all my food. Good thing we got a van, uh?

There isn't much spiritual truth to hang your hat on in this blog today. That would indicate my business at the moment. What do they say? You can't give what you don't receive? I'm reminded that young moms have so little time for quiet times with the Lord. I feel that one more time this week. God knows and He is as close as ever. Tomorrow is another day in Him.

No comments: