Friday, August 17, 2007

Forty Five Years Ago Today

Forty five years ago today, I was a young bride, scared to death. I didn't have the kind of confidence I have today and I worried about all the details going well. My mother was a detail person and wanted everything just so, also. The church hall where the reception was to be held was not air conditioned. Mom was concerned that it would be uncomfortably hot for our guests so she ran all over northern Indiana looking for air conditioning units she could make work in the church windows. Nothing was found so we were forced to rely on God for the temperatures. As it turned out, the day was cool and the night even cooler. There was not a hint of need for conditioned air. Isn't that the way with most of the things we get hot and bothered over. I've heard it said that 90% of things we worry over, never happen. Praise God for that.

We rarely do really special things on our anniversaries but my husband must feel that this one is special. We are going to Shipshewana, Indiana. It is a favorite place of mine and I've been there three times already this summer. Instead of shopping this time, we are going for a concert. This concert is held in the famous Blue Gate, restaurant, theatre, and store. The guest artist is Dino. Dino is a fantastic pianist and uses his gift to praise God with playing songs that glorify Him. I have seen him on television often and know that he has a show in Branson so when I saw he was going to be at the Blue Gate today, I told Ken that I would be thrilled if we could go to hear and see him. We haven't made any overnight accomodations but Ken said last night that we should do that. We will see what we can find. Surely some motel, hotel or bed and breakfast will have an opening. If not, it is only two and a half hours to our own bed.

God has been so good to us. When I look back over forty five years, I have to take a deep breath. I have spent more times than I care to admit worrying over things in our lives; big things like money and health. They say hindsight is 20/20 and for me, seeing God's faithfulness makes all the truths I know of Him clear. With his help we have reared a large family, all of whom love God, love each other and love us. Can't get any better than that. We are more wealthy than most billionaires. Unity of spirit is worth far more than money can buy.

So, today, Ken and I praise God for our life together. It has been challenging and we have often struggled, but when we look at the result, we couldn't be happier or more thankful. We still fuss at each other now and then but neither of us would trade each other in. Goodness, I wouldn't want to start training another one. :) My husband has always been faithful to me and I to him. Divorce has never been mentioned or considered. Love is a result achieved only through committment and hard work.When we went into this contract, we both knew it would be forever. God's grace has made that possible.

No comments: