Friday, August 24, 2007

His Mercies New Every Morning

We were kept safe in the Father's arms once more during the night while it stormed and stormed. Ken and I slept in our bed but Isaiah was safe in the lower level family room on the sofa. His mom's room is in the lower level so she has a safe bed all the time.

The land has not seen so much lightning and we have not heard so much thunder in a very long time. It seems we can't find the end of it. I woke with a startle at 5:30 this morning when the thunder clapped loud enough to wake the dead. I know there were tornado warnings and flash flood warnings all around the area so now when light has come, one wonders if there has been damage nearby. One thing is sure, all of nature is clean, clean, clean.

Yesterday was a day of family reunion. Because of the triple relationship involved between Jim's and Hope's family and mine, I was kept busy greeting and visiting with people I hadn't seen for years. It was so good to see my Recker cousins from Michigan again. Four of the six sons of that family attended the funeral. Then there were distant cousins I was very close to as a child from the Bierma family that also attended. I hadn't anticipated all that reuniting and was delighted to see those I rarely see. Then, of course, there were all the Terpstras. They, too, are cousins once or twice removed. The day was a busy one.

The memorial service was just what I expected, celebration of Jim's life and God's workings in and through him. Three of his five children eulogized him. It was heart warming to hear of their love for their father and their testimony that Jim had prepared them for this day. Jim had had a spiritual awakening in the last couple of years. Prior to that, he was a believer and knew he would spend eternity in heaven but didn't have the joy of walking close to Jesus in a personal relationship on a daily basis. It is wonderful that his family has the assurance that he became closer and closer to his Savior even before his fatal accident.

Today is Friday. Where has the week gone? I'm not sure I have accomplished anymore retired as I did while I was working. When I expressed that to my daughter, Kendra, she said, "Well, Mom, it's because you have a life". I guess that could explain it. I do know that in the next week I must get to doing some of what needs doing here in a physical sense. It's time to get underneath things and CLEAN.

This morning, I am invited for brunch to my long time friend Norma's home. Norma and I attended school together throughout elementary and high school. She and I were best buds, shared our hearts and our dreams together. As young wives and moms we spent nearly every day together talking, playing cards (in the winter), canning, cleaning. Our children have fond memories of the six Vander Molen kids and the hours they shared as little ones. As time went on, our family left the church we attended together and though we continued to live in the same area, we didn't see each other all that often anymore. However, when we do, we pick up where we left off and carry on our relationship. She is a wonderful woman of God. I love sharing with her and hearing what God is doing in her life. Joining us this morning will be a mutual friend, Penny. She and her husband are missionaries overseas and are home on furlough. Penny loves tea and scones so my scones are ready to go into the oven. I shall bring them hot along with a bowl of Devonshire cream to make them all the more irristible. I look forward to a rich morning of sharing, remembering and praying together.

No comments: