Monday, August 13, 2007

Let the Fun Begin

Monday morning........the plan today is for our eldest daughter's family to visit my dad and Mary for coffee time this morning. They will need transportation so I'll tag along. Following that will be a visit to our son-in-law's relatives. Mid afternoon will find us making one more trip to Midway airport. The time in the car will be sweet as we will get one last opportunity for visiting with this precious and loved family. Then the dreaded time of seperation will come. Many years ago, my daughter and I couldn't experience one of those times without tears. However, with more opportunity to travel both for her family and for us, we generally know that we will see them "soon", even if that "soon" is six months or more. I don't think God intended family members to live so far apart. Tongue in check.

Our youngest daughter and husband will also leave for their home today. They live about two hours from us and come "home" often so the parting is not as much sorrow. As a matter of fact, they will be returning next weekend for Kendra's cousin's baby shower.

After today, life will return to routine. Our lives are never boring. I once heard it said, "If one finds him or herself bored, it is not a state of reality but of the mind". I so heartily agree. If I find myself feeling unmotived or blah, I quickly decide to change my focus and look for something to be productive. I have a perpetual list of priorities that lay under the surface so that when the time comes available, I can roll my priorty list in my head and select something on the list. On the other hand, I am not a person that cannot sit for a rest or do something just for the fun-of-it. I'm convinced that God intended that we enjoy our lives. I don't think He stands by with a stick waiting to smack us if we quit working. I know people who seem to think that is the way God is. It is difficult for them to use time for things that are pure entertainment. They feel they are wasting "time". It is the entertaining moments in which I find refreshement that make the moments I find sheer toil bearable. I try to never be too busy for time with people. It doesn't matter how much work I have to do..........people come first. Someone may call with a request to go shopping, meet for lunch, go to the beach or anywhere else. If I'm up to my eye balls in preoccupation but I feel my interaction with them will benefit one of us, then it is time to put down what I'm doing and join the fun. I don't regularly golf or play cards or or or .....even though there isn't a thing wrong in that practice. But I do leave home for activities with friends and family without much qualm. I've come to believe God would have me cherish the moments, AND I DO!

Today, I will enjoy one more day of pure pleasure. Tomorrow I will begin my catch-up. There will be sheets to wash and a house to clean. Until then, let the fun begin.

No comments: