Friday, August 31, 2007

Wounded But Still Tickin

Today I am sporting a cut on my cheekbone. Did I hear you ask how that happened? Well, yesterday on our marathon shopping day, we were in Party City picking up paper goods for my grandaughter's birthday party. My daughter was standing in line at the check out. I had just checked a price I didn't want to forget so I said to her, "I'll go to the car and write that down." I turned and saw the door but didn't see the plate glass wall before the door. I smacked my self into that wall with a thud. To say it knocked me a bit silly is probably something that could be proven. There was considerable pain for a few moments and I stood still wondering if I was going to hit the floor or if I'd make it. I decided I would make it and took my humiliated and embarrassed self to the car to mop up and pull myself back together. I felt like crying and thought, nope, you aren't hurt that bad, suck it up. Talk about feeling stupid. Lauri finished her business in a hurry and came to evaluate her injured mother. It took a few minutes to convince her I would be just fine even though it looked like I was going to develop a goose egg under my eye. She happened to have a cold pack in the cooler in the back of the car so there I sat with an ice pack on my check in the middle of the parking lot. Eventually, we took off again for Valpo from Merrillville. It is a route I have taken many times and I scared my daughter by running a red light, missing it altogther. I didn't see it until I would have had to make some screetching sounds so I glanced both ways and decided the cars hadn't started yet so we would be okay. Well, according to Lauri, that was proof that I wasn't quite right. Two embarrassments in one day is not good.

In the early morning yesterday, we went to what was told to be the largest garage sale under a tent. Well, that wasn't exactly true but it was fun and we found a few little treasures. All of my adult life I have looked at baby baskets with all the beautiful white bedding with a bit of envy. I don't know why I haven't had one in my life but I do now. I'm going to be ready for this new baby we are expecting in February. Ten bucks bought the layers of white beauty in a basket on wheels. When we got home, I tore the entire thing apart and washed all the pieces. I had it all back together by bedtime. Even Ken is impressed and thinks it is very pretty. I told Kendra, the mom to be, that her little boy may baulk at the frills. She laughed since we don't know what sex that baby is just yet. We should know in a month or so. It isn't going to matter because that baby is going to spend some time under all that pretty stuff whether it is boy or girl. Grandma said so.

Today, I began pressure washing the house and sidewalk at about eight in the morning. I worked solid for four hours and then tinkered with doing this and that in the afternoon. I would say I got in a good day's work. I got part way around the house and have more done than has to be done so I will finish tomorrow. After the house is clean I will wash the windows and then we should be clean enough for winter. It feels really good to look at a clean house. Josh, number three son, a painter, is supposed to get to our house yet this fall. If he does, we are ready for him. He has chosen the colors and I don't even know what they are. Josh is so artsy and has such good taste, I fully trust his judgement. I know it will look good when he is finished with it.

Another day in my life. We are getting ready to go out to eat with friends. Nothing special, just salad bar at the truck stop but it is opportunity to touch base with friends. Blessings to my blog friends.

No comments: