Friday, September 21, 2007

Looking Forward to the Chicken Dance

Instead of early in the morning at my keyboard, it is eight in the evening. I am ready for lying on my bed and watching a Christian TV station to quiet my mind and spirit and welcome the feeling of floating away to slumberland.

This morning was busy.....not sure why......I haven't done half the things I intended to do today. This morning I met with six high school classmates. The girls in our class were for the most part very tight. Since high school, once together it like old times. Today was no different. One of the gals that lives in Florida and for whom there are no relatives in our town any longer as all have passed to the other side. She doesn't get here often and she called one of the other gals and announced her presence and asked if our classmate could get some of the ole girls together. Even at the last minute, seven of us dropped everything and went for a mini reunion. We had a wonderful time and one had a difficult time getting a word in sledge wise. When I got out of my chair to leave I told the girls I had an announcement. I then said, "While your bodies have changed over the last forty seven years, your spirit and personalities are securely in place". It is so true. As the conversation developed, one could almost predict who was going to say what. Each person shared part of their lives and after a couple of gals spoke of children who had been hooked on drugs, one of the gals said that this proves that into each life a little rain must fall. Fortunately both the children referred to have kicked their habit and are living free. It was a good morning.

This afternoon, though fulfilling, was not quite so much fun. The church secretary I spoke of early last week when I told of the visit to her mother who suffers from dementia, had to clear out her father's room at the retirement center. He was diagnosed Tuesday with pancreatic cancer that has mastisized to the liver and other places. He has been given two weeks to live and has been placed in Hospice care. Patty is an only child so the care of both these needy parents is hers alone. Obviously, she has the help of her husband and son but because I am married to an only child, I know the loneliness of making the kinds of decisions she must make and endure the things she is enduring. The family needed help in packing up the father's room so Bernice and I went to Oak Grove and packed precious belongings into boxes which will be opened at a later date. At that point the items will spark many wonderful memories.

This will be the last blog until Sunday night when I return from Wisconsin. We will attend my niece's wedding tomorrow. We are driving our van with two of our daughters and one's husband. We will drive "out of our way" to get the youngest and her husband from Algonquin. Its amazing what a family does for it's baby. As she said, "Oh Mom, you know we are a little special". It is true that it will be fun to have them with us. It wouldn't be the same at all to have them drive seperately. So, tomorrow should be a fun day with family, immediate and extended. I'm getting hyped to do the chicken dance.

No comments: