Friday, December 14, 2007

A big Decision Made

Yes, it was a nice evening as expected. It is good for women to gather together to visit and encourage one another. The subject ranged from the delight of the younger set's children to the death of one of our church's eldest members. It is encouraging to find so many Christ centered loving hearts. It is amusing that there are so many strong personalities among us and I confess to being one of those. I enjoyed listening to the "talk". I came home with four dozen cookies of various varieties. I put them away in a cool place so that when company comes this holiday season, I will be ready with a beautiful tray of cookies.

Today, Ken and I spent the morning at the funeral for our brother who was old and very tired. He lost his wife eighteen months ago, lost a daughter in law two months ago and spent the last few months of his life in the nursing home. We went to church to bring our salad and enjoy the meal with the family.

After we were home, Lauri called to say that she was knee deep in her painting project. Ken claimed a sore foot kept him from helping so I put on my old duds and went to help my daughter. That kind of work isn't altogether easy anymore but I managed quite fine and the bedroom is primed and ready for the finish coats tomorrow. When we were nearly finished, Ken came and looked things over. I told him that he could not say one word of advice if he wasn't going to help. After all, painting was his source of income for many years. He was a very good boy and said nothing. Didn't even lend one word of advice. When Lauri heard him come in the door she said, "If he starts criticizing our paint job, he just may get painted." I think my ploy worked and he felt guilty because he told Lauri he would be over to help her tomorrow. I will go as well and hopefully, we can get this job finished. She has been at it for awhile and has done a bathroom and walk in closet by herself. Ugh. I feel sorry for her in a way that she is doing this at this time of year but on the other hand, it was her choice to do it now, sooooooo......

Kendra made the decision today to stay home with Craig over the holidays. I know it is a big and dramatic decision for her. She wants to be in both places but feels Craig needs her and she him this year. This is Craig's family's first Christmas without his mother and to leave him for nearly ten days probably isn't the best idea. He would have allowed her to go but she thinks it isn't wise. She is also very pregnant and doesn't know how the trip would go for her and doesn't want to hold us back. She said she knows she will feel very sad when she thinks that all of us are together at her brother's house in Florida but she had to make a choice between two good things. In one way I'm very sad, I'd love to have her along. On the other hand, I'm relieved. I would not want anything to happen to cause harm to her pregnant state. I guess this is for the best. It is hard though and I confess to shedding a couple of tears. Kendra is such a family person and I know it will be painful for her to stay at home.

No comments: