Saturday, March 1, 2008

Living Within Limitations

Another weekend has arrived. There is still snow on the ground but the milder temperatures may just do something about that. A giant melt would be welcomed. I'm so weary of the snow and the complexities that come with it. Last night, my husband parked in our friend's driveway for Bible study. As I opened the door, I realized that while the driveway was clear, I had no choice but to step in a foot of snow while clearing the door. Then walking onto the sidewalk, there was black ice where the melting snow off the roof was dropping onto the sidewalk and freezing there. This weather produces treacherous conditions for us. I'm safe, but I have talked to a few people this winter that haven't faired so well. Broken bones are not fun.

So, bring on spring. I understand that the time changes to daylight savings time in two weeks. It hardly seems possible, but bring that on, too. While I enjoy early morning light, I more enjoy extended daylight at the end of the day. The change conjures up visions of gardening in my head. Nothing brings more freedom to my spirit (humanly speaking) than sitting on warm earth and digging in the soil. Time fades and I find myself in the moment. Love it. There was a time in my life, that my goals for gardening were grandious. I have a picture in my bathroom of a to die for garden. I planned to create one of those for my own. I did pretty well for awhile. Then came some physical problems and suddenly I couldn't do the "manly" work anymore. My dreams of the best garden in the county were dashed. For a few years I carried a bitterness about that. By now, things that are simpler are more attractive.

So, while I can't do it really big anymore, I can still do it and praise God for the level of strength He has chosen to preserve for me. I got slapped into reality last spring break while we were in Washington DC going through the process of getting into the White House. My defibrillator was rather new then and I wasn't sure about the safety going through all the security. The last thing I needed was to screw up the metal works in me. When I shared with the female security person my hesitation about going through the security check, she asked why and I told her about the defib. She chuckled and scoffed a bit as she said, "The VP comes through here every day of the year!" That was probably the biggest encouragement I could have gotten. If Cheney can go about the of the vice presidency of the US with a defibrillator in his chest, I think I can do what needs to be done here, too.

No comments: