Monday, March 3, 2008

Welcome to Our World

I heard a quotation from a noted Catholic priest recently. It made so much sense to me and it rang as truth to my ears. "Immorality is anti American and is a threat to our national security". He went on to explain that Americans are not listening to the voice of God's for the way to live their lives anymore. Duh. We all know that. The message was one of warning......either we will wake up and return to Him or He will wake us up and it won't be pretty. With the priest's deep strong voice, he said, "I will guarantee you, we will not get by with this".

It makes me wonder who we think we are. Out of one side of our mouths, say like right after 911, we, meaning the nation at large, beseech God for His blessing and healing. A few months later, there had been no meaningful change. Lives continue to be lived for the dollar or for worldy pleasure. Never before in my lifetime has immorality been more prevelant. Even as Christians we have come to expect it and to accept it. More frightening is that we are quiet about it as if we don't have anything signifcant to say on the subject. We are at fault. We have bought into the philosophy that every one can live and let live.

I am not suggesting that we live like Pharisees and judge others in a condemning way. I am suggesting that we take a good look around us and speak up for holiness. When we hear God's name taken in vain, we should politely take exception to the practice. When those around us live in anyway that is contrary to God's commands for life, we need to be vocal. Stand for the right. How do we do that and not be judgmental? I think if we explain that it isn't our opinion that matters but it is God's opinion that is the standard by the way we all live our lives, it may be accepted better. I am not an expert on this. I am still learning. It is very hard for me to challenge behavior in my world where anything goes. I prefer to stay in my little corner of the world where it is safe and less offensive. The priest jogged my conscience.

No comments: