Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Middle Day of the Week

A layer of frost is on the windshield of Ken's car this morning. It is now 33 degrees. Brrrrr. Again the only redeeming value in the weather is the bright sun. A week or so ago, I heard people say that the risk of frost was over and we were free to plant. I remember thinking but not outloud.....don't plant until the 16th of May to be safe. I hope not too many things were lost over the last couple of days. My dad has his sweet potato plants in the ground but he has each of the forty eight babies in a buried milk carton which he will pull out when the weather warms up.

Lunch with two of my second cousins yesterday was rich. My grandmother on my dad's side was one of fourteen children. There we sat discussing each of them. It amazes me that my great grandparents could succesfully have a family of that size in a day that money was so hard to come by. They were a tough lot in terms of hard work and determination.

This morning is our last Women in the Word meeting of the season. A big hoopla is planned and food will not be scarce. How does one resist that wonderful spread? I'm going to try to keep my head about me and not let my stomach be my god. I'm bringing tomato cheese bread.....french bread sliced thick and lathered in garlic butter, slice of tomato and then a slice of cheese...slide them under the broiler and yum. The best time of the morning will be when we share our hearts. Something divine happens when people allow what God has done for them come out of their mouths in praise. It will happen this morning, I 'm sure. It's a great group of ladies made up of all ages. I find connecting with the young moms of our church so important. Older women need younger women and vice versa. God even says so in His Word. We learn from one another and it helps us keep a balanced outlook on life.

No comments: