Monday, April 28, 2008

Oldtime Radio and TV

While thinking about how I make myself vulnerable by writing certain things in my blog, I was brought back to memories of listening to family radio when I was a child. I recall a radio show in the mornings that featured the family discussion around their breakfast table. I remember loving it....I could relate to it because we had similar discussions around our breakfast table. Though I haven't pin pointed what show that was, I came across some names that also jogged my cloudy memory. Don McNeill and the Breakfast Club......yes, cloudy memories but sweet ones. Then there was the Ozzie and Harriet show which later went to TV. They were probably my very favorite. I found a place on the net where I can actually download those programs onto my I-pod. Is that cool or what? Now I just have to figure out how to do all that. Good thing there are some young people in my house to help me with all the tech stuff.

My husband listened to many more radio programs when he was young. He was an only child and while I was playing with my siblings he was lying on the rug in front of the radio. He talks about Amos and Andy, The Barn Dance, etc. While I remember Amos and Andy, I have little recollection of the Barn Dance. My mother didn't like southern music or slapstick comedy so as a result we didn't listen to it and I still have a distaste for it at this stage of life. It goes to prove just how much power a parent's influence is.

Other radio or early television personalities that tickled my fancy were Arthur Godfrey, Groucho Marx, Red Skelton and Ed Sullivan. My heart throb singer was Perry Como. In l980, as an anniversary gift, our older children gave us tickets to Perry Como's show at the Star Plaza Theatre in Merrillville. The only problem was that we had a two month old baby. What to do? We tucked her in our arms and carried her along. She never flinched and can always boast of having been to a Perry Como show. I could probably walk to the very seat I sat in. It was a night to remember. I have some of Perry's music on my I-pod and enjoy it from time to time.

Another "star" experience happened about fifteen years earlier in approximately l964. Ken's mother and I were shopping in the Evergreen Park Plaza. We were eating lunch in a restaurant there with our one year old, Sherri, in a stroller next to our table. Suddenly, Ken's mother looked to one side and very excitedly said, "THAT'S OZZIET AND HARRIET!". I glanced over and took the scene in carefully. Yes, I suppose it was. Our waitress confirmed that it was indeed the people we thought it was. The waitress brought me some paper and I walked to their table and asked for their autograph. I recall their beautiful smiles and graciousness as they gave me a treasure. Many years later after moving that treasure around over and over I sold it (or gave it away) at a garage sale. Dumb or what? I wish I had thought that through better.

No comments: