Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Pleasures and Problems

Unexpected pleasures are the most fun in life. This morning the phone rang and it was Anna, my former work mate from the high school. She still works there and asked if I could join her for an early lunch at 10:30. I told her I would, so I motored to the high school and sat and waited for Anna to come to meet me in the car. When she walked up to my vehicle, she slid in the back seat. I looked at her rather strangely. She said, 'we will have a surprise visitor". Out walked a gal we had fallen in love with two years ago when she was an exchange student from Taiwan. Joanna is now a student in an university in Toronto..the kid gets around. It was delightful to see her and catch up on her life. She hopes to further a career in acting and then if that doesn't work, she will put her language skills to work as an interpretor. She is a great kid and again, today, brought joy to our hearts.

The magnolia tree burgeoning with bulging buds has exploded into full bloom. I stopped at my dad's house for two reasons...one to pick up some meat I am storing in their freezer and the other was to see "the tree". It is absolutely beautiful. Words don't describe what God can do with flowers. Man doesn't come close to making anything as beautiful.

I think twice or three times now when I think of taking the Durango out on the road. It used to be that I'd fill it up for between 35 and 40 dollars. The last time I filled the tank...the pump read $75.00 and it wasn't totally filled yet. I nearly fainted. This is ridiculous. The fuel crisis is going to affect every area of our economy. One of the freedoms of our nation is that one can move about freely....the size of our nation requires vehicle transportation. That freedom is being squeezed right out of our lives by the price of gasoline and diesel fuel. We are a nation full of brilliant people. It seems someone could do something to make us less dependent on those oil laden Arab nations. Another problem I have read about is the environmentalists who balk at drilling for oil located in our own nation. It has been reported that there is vast amounts of oil under the Dakotas. I don't advocate being totally irresponsible in terms of using our environment but I also know that we have been given natural resources for purpose. A little give on both sides seems appropriate. Perhaps God wants to slow us down a bit. I love to go......I love cars and driving...my style is crimped by the cost of driving a car presently. In my prayers I have asked God to 1. Supply our needs in that regard 2. Make me content at home. I remember and ask you to remember as well, that He is faithful and nothing happens without His will. "God bring us relief".
.

No comments: