Sunday, May 4, 2008

So Many Birthdays

This weekend is one of those"birthday" weekends for us. Lauren, one of our older granddaughters was seventeen yesterday. Today is birthday to two grandsons; Aidan who is eleven and Ethan who is seven. Since Ethan is the only one of those precious kids that lives here, his will be the only one we can celebrate with him. That will be at three o'clock this afternoon. Lauren is in Plainfield, Illinois and Aidan is in Phoenix, Arizona. Ethan was full of expectation yesterday as he talked about his pirate birthday cake along with the plates and cups to match. Lynette, a girl that lives with us, celebrated her birthday on Friday. So many of our family birthdays come in twos and threes. The beginning of June is also bunched with family birthdays. Happy Birthday to each of the people for whom we are so thankful.

The work continues on Peggy Sue.....the floor is out in the front and we are to bare beams. Lauri and I went to see what type of laminate we could find to update the table and the countertop. When we asked what they had with pink in it, the guy looked at us as if we were nuts. Oh well...one asks for what they truly want. We were told what we already knew, that pink is not much sought for kitchens these days. Duh. We eventually found a marbled pink with grey/blue which matches the cushions perfectly. We will see how that progresses. No decisions made yet. When the cabinet man told me pink wasn't in vogue, I was so tempted to tell him a story. I refrained, but need to tell someone. I don't recall what year it was, it had to be in the fifties, but I felt all grown up and my younger brother was a little kid. He was five years younger than me. We went to bed one night and woke up to a new kitchen the next morning. My parents had stayed up very late painting the kitchen cabinets pink and grey; the base was grey and the doors pink. My brother was so excited and described the new cabinets as making for a "happy kitchen". I suppose that has stuck with me and would be one explanation for choosing pink for the retro feel in Peggy Sue.

Soon, we will leave for church. It is always good to be in God's house on Sunday morning and praise Him with our family there. There is strength in fellowship with others who worship the one true God. To God be glory today and always.

No comments: