Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Green Acres is the Place For Me

After two gorgeous days, I'm waking to a sky that appears foreboding. Things will have to change a great deal in order to see the sun anytime soon. My guess is that we will have a shower or two early today. (note the spring flower pics taken in my yard this morning).

Yesterday was the planned day to take down a huge tree in our front yard. The top of it broke off during a winter storm this last season and the rest needed to come down, lest it come down during another storm and damage property. Our neighbor, Greg, heats with wood so he offered to take it down for the wood. Isaiah and I left for about fifteen minutes to deliver a drum set to granddaughter, Mackenna. When we returned, the monster was down and while I felt robbed to have missed the sight of its falling, I was relieved to see that it landed perfectly with injury to nothing and noone. Greg and his wife and five children worked on that tree yesterday. It is down to only the trunk this morning. I can see that the diameter is about two and a half feet. It was a big un. They did such a good job of cleaning it all up with rakes and had tons of fun filling a little trailer with logs and one of the kids driving the lawn tractor trailer in tow to their back yard where they set up a pile that will serve to warm them next winter. Our front yard looks foreign to me now. Perhaps a better description would be that it looks naked.

Granddaughter, Alex, left for her eighth grade trip to Washington DC late yesterday. I rode with her mother to bring her to school for take off. Goodbyes were difficult. I was reminded of what it was like when our eldest child began to spread her wings. It pains a mother's heart and the child's as well. As we walked away, the principal invited us to join them in the time of devotions before they left. Lauri looked at him and said, "Our goodbyes are said and we need to just leave". The group was to travel by coach bus through the night and enjoy a tour of the White House this morning. Having made the same trip a little over a year ago, I can relate to all the things on their itinerary and just know they will have a wonderful time.

This morning, I will be joining a friend and together we will go "up north" ( a local term which means going to where the houses are closer together and there are many more businesses and all of which is north of here.) It is a wonderful place to visit and I love it......but......I wouldn't trade this country life for anything in the whole world. They can have their busy lives and their traffic jams...I relate to sentiment of the song;

Green Acres is the place for me
Farm living is the life for me
Land spreadin out so far and wide
Keep Merrillville, Chicago New York.....
Just give me that countryside.

Today is our baby's birthday. Kendra is twenty eight today. I long to be able to spend it with her but two and half hours and several gallons of gas keep us apart today. I wish her a very happy birthday and trust her husband will make her feel special on her special day. Kendra, you may read this to Craig if you have to. :)

Yesterday was our son's in law birthday also. We dropped by to give him birthday wishes last evening. It is also my brother, Jim's, birthday today...so happy birthday to each of you birthday people.

No comments: