Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Do Not Fear (God's comforting words to us over and over)

Moments in life that cause one to panic.........Lauri called yesterday...."Can you come over?" I'll be right there...out the door with my keys in hand....fly over the two and a half miles to my daughter's house. All the way, prayers were flying from my mind, heart and lips to our heavenly Father. When I walked in the door, our Ethan was lying on the sofa with a very concerned mom by his side and a neighbor who happens to be a nurse standing over him. Seems he was helping his mom clean the bathroom. Mom was cleaning the sink and mirror and Ethan was intent on cleaning the tub. Somehow and we will never know how...he slipped and struck his chest on the side of the tub. Lauri said he let out a scream like she hasn't ever heard from him before and about that time, he passed out for a moment. Lauri was totally freaked out as most moms would be. By the time I arrived, the big concerns were over and Ethan just lay on the sofa not wanting to move very much. At one point he told us he thought he needed a chiropractor and repeatedly told us we should call one. Then he said that each time he breathed he "jiggled" whatever that meant. I think he had been frightened and his body was shaking. Eventually, he wanted to go to bed for a nap (which I didn't think was a good idea). Fortunately, he came out of his room quickly and under his own steam so we knew all was going to be well. By the afternoon he was out doors playing and claiming his chest still hurt a little bit and that he thought it was "bwooooosd". Phew>>>>>>

Then last night, Kendra and Craig observed that Emerson appeared to stop breathing and then to gasp. From what I have gathered....the kids wanted to downplay the event to good ole Mom so that I wouldn't worry. They called a neonatal nurse who had been a friend of Craig's mother. Peggy said to keep an eye on her and if she had other problems to take her to the ER. I talked with Kendra about seven and at that point Emerson was asleep and had had no other episodes. Kendra called at 9:30 and we talked a few minutes. She was apparently concerned. We prayed together and placed our precious little baby in our Father's hand for protection and health and strength. Kendra said she wanted the baby to sleep between them for the night and I told her I thought that was a good idea.

It's tough being a parent sometimes. Our ability to protect is limited. I've always said I felt better if I could fiquritively hold my children in my hands with the fingers far enough apart to remember I cannot be their ultimate care giver and close enough together to do the best I could as a human parent. God had to take care of that which I couldn't. Except for the grace of God.....

After dinner last evening, I got Alex and took her for her first real drive. I told her we were going to Grandpa Recker's house where she could drive on a lane. When we got about two miles from there I pulled over and invited Alex to drive. She said she was nervous....well, of course.....but she did a good job. There is a blind railroad on the road we were on and if there had been a train coming....well....we would have stopped just in time to kiss the train....but there was no train and she did get it stopped at the very edge of the rails. We had a good laugh and proceeded. Driving up and back Grandpa's lane proved very successful for me when I learned fifty years ago. It was apparent that it was good for Alex, too. Driving in reverse for a two block distance teaches quite a bit about steering and handling a car. If one can drive backwards, one can surely drive forward. We arrived home safely and Grandpa (my husband) got his car back in one piece.

Update on Ethan...I just called to see how he was and he answered the phone. He said he was fine, "and I didn't faint duwing the night, Gwandma." Next words were, "I just got up and I don't think anyone is here. I asked if he had checked his sisters rooms. Not yet. He said he would check but asked if I would come over if they weren't around. I assured him I would. Soon he whispered into the phone..."Sydney is still asleep and Awex is in the bathwoom. I said, "See, Honey, you weren't alone...your mommy would never leave you alone." I know Gwanma but all the cars were gone and I felt alone. Then I reminded him that today is Tuesday and his mommy is at work. Oh yea, and if there are any big pwoblems or big fighting we will call you.

Kids are a stitch......No update on Emerson yet this morning. I called but noone answered......wait.....wait......wait.

1 comment:

Kendra said...

Isaiah didn't know that your trailer was called Peggy Sue...he claims you people never tell him anything.