Friday, June 20, 2008

Small Town USA

After my Curves session this morning, I ran a few errands. I found myself smiling a lot. Then I realized that at every stop, there were people I knew from my growing up years here in this little town. The lady that helped me at CVS attended the same high school as I, though she was two or three years younger. That means I have known her for fifty years. The grocery store was next on my agenda. My hair stylist was there so we chatted a bit. Then I stopped at Family Express to pick up some milk. There were two cops in there; one a county sheriff and the other a town Barney Fife. The sheriff is my daughter's neighbor whom we have come to know and love. Barney Fife is a kid about our son John's age whose family I've known all my life. The gal behind the counter in FE also went to school with me and was a grade ahead of me. There were many smiles exhanged, hellos verbalized and small jokes told. As I drove home, I thought of the joys of a small town environment. I've said it before in this blog but I'll say it again...this is a great place to live and raise a family (though our raising is pretty well complete).

Kendra and Emerson arrived yesterday around noon. I was in town with Lauri and Alex at the BMV getting Alex's driver's permit. I remember the feeling of pride and aprehension I had when I was at that stage in life. She was happy as well. I told her this morning that I'll take her to Grandpa Recker's house and she can drive the quarter mile lane to the woods and then back it all the way up.....that is how I learned and it was painless.....no other cars and no audience.

Ken had a root canal yesterday....such fun. I noticed he was up a great deal during the night. I was gone before he was awake this morning and when I returned, he was gone so I don't have his explanation as yet. The guy has suffered with his teeth the last few months.

When Kendra is home, I get my Scrabble fix. I won both games last night so I should allow her a victory before she gives up and doesn't play anymore.

The last few days I've been mulling over the disfunction of human kind. I am more and more convinced of the depravity of man...the Word says the heart of a man is full of wickedness. The things I have learned lately affirm that truth to my mind and heart. I grieve over the pain with which some have to deal. I don't understand why God allows these things to happen but perhaps I should be focusing the blame on Satan. One can often see in people the struggle between a desire to do good and the temptation to do wrong. It is so incredibly sad when the wrong wins. People's lives are changed for a lifetime and healing is long and difficult in coming. Pray for those who have been abused, especially those whose kin have taken advantage of them. God have mercy!

No comments: