Friday, August 15, 2008

Little E

Little E called yesterday afternoon with this request......"Gwama, can I have a sleep over." Being the kids that live only two miles away, he and his sisters are the ones that have not spent many nights here. The out of town kids do it often but being the kids that live the closest they go home to sleep. Ethan is seven and the youngest child of daughter Lauri and her husband Elton. He is also the only boy. To say he is special in their midst is an understatement. Little E is quite a character. His vocabulary is way beyond his seven years but he still has a little boy's speech problems. His "r"s and his "th"s are not completely developed so sometimes listening to this dichotomy is quite entertaining. Another thing one needs to know about Ethan and his speech is that his mouth is in constant go mode. He never stops talking. For about twenty minutes I counted the times he said, "Gwama".....you don't even wnat to know. When I mentioned his ability to carry on a one way conversation to his mother, she said, "Welcome to my world".

While I listened to him last evening I thought I should try and remember what he says so that I can entertain my blog readers but his words are so many and come so fast, I wasn't able to slice out a sentence or two and hold it in my memory. I do remember that one of his stories had the word, "literally" in it several times and it took me a few minutes before I could figure out what word he was using. During dinner, he told me his mom and dad were boring....well that is what I thought he said. I asked, "Your mom and dad are boring?" Then he looked at me with frustrated big blues and said with conviction......"boring...you know Gwama...what you do with pins and balls". Ken looked at me with an unspoken request for translation. I chuckled and said, "Oh, he means his mom and dad are bowling." Got it, E. Yes your mom and dad are bowling.

The quietest part of our night was when I climbed into the guest bed with him and we read a book together. He told me who the "aufor" was and then he read a page or two and then I read a page or two. Soon he was too tired to read so I finished up the chapter and then it was lights out. It was he that wanted to go to bed. Generally kids want to stay up late but after eight o'clock he just couldn't wait to sleep. He was sooooo tired. At this writing, he is still quiet. That means he is still sleeping. My day will start when his little eyes open. I will cherish the memories.......Little E will grow up soon and the cute way he says his words will fall by the wayside. In the mean time, he will continue to entertain me....

No comments: