Sunday, August 17, 2008

A Visit to the Noblesville De Vries'

Yesterday, we drove south to Noblesville, near Indianapolis, to visit our son, Joshua's family. It was a gorgeous day so we started early....stopped and got our Starbucks in Lafayette and then sipped our way south. Delightful. We found the kids happy and in good spirits. Our step granddaughter, Page, was home which added pleasure to our day. Page is going to be a senior in college this year. Her baby sister, Kiersten, is seven and is starting first grade. One at one end of the education spectrum and one at the other.

We checked out all the remodeling jobs Josh has done around their house and were simply amazed. Good job, Son. We visited for awhile and then they took us to an Asian buffet. It was a huge place, fairly new, and filled with people, most of them Asian. That was a good sign. The options were endless and we ate way too much but it was delicious. We spent the rest of the afternoon on their patio, enjoying good fellowship while drinking raspberry iced tea.

Joshua is a wheeler and dealer and his heart is as big as the world. There is no end to his generosity. As a result we came home with a Durango full of stuff. We have wanted a second refrigerator in the garage for a long time but didn't want to put out the money for a new one and just haven't come up with a good used one. Well, Josh had one they weren't using so the guys stuffed it in the back of the Durango. That wasn't the only thing....Ken fell heir to an electric sander, a commercial sized blower and some other incidental things. So, move over stuff, we have to make room for more. Shouldn't people our age be downsizing??????

Today is our forty sixth anniversary. As we opened our eyes at approximately the same time this morning, we said in chorus, "Happy Anniversary". I remember our fifth anniversary. I was pregnant with our third child and over due. Ken forgot it was our anniversary and I used the opportunity to have a pity party. When I shared the sorrow with my mother, she wisely said, "Honey, I learned long ago that it is best to say a week or so before one's anniversary something that will remind the husband that a special day is near. It saves a lot of heartache." She was so right. This year I said nothing and not on purpose, just hadn't gotten to it yet and I heard my husband of these many years tell his son, "Yep, tomorrow Mom and I will be married forty six years." I smiled and said to my daughter in law.....I'm amazed he remembered. Some things do get better with age.

No comments: