Friday, September 19, 2008

Music.....Touches the Soul (not always the same music)

Twas a very busy day. First took someone to a counseling appointment. On our way home, I was dropped off at church for a funeral. I had a salad to bring and had a responsibility to serve at the luncheon.

During the funeral, a soloist we enjoy sang, Mansion Over the Hilltop. Ken chuckled and when I looked at him, he was smiling like a cat that swallowed a canary. What? was my question. He said, "That is my song". I will never understand why he laughs when something touches him. I cry and he laughs. Seems strange to me but after forty six years, I am finally figuring him out. As I listened to Pat sing the song, I had to chuckle myself. I think it is so ironic that that song and many like it that are horizontally driven are not my favorites at all. My husband and I do not have the same taste in all music. He is a little too much on the country side for my tastes. But I decided that if I am around for his funeral, we will sing or have someone sing that very song. Another of his favorites is, "I'm a Child of the King". Being adopted and not knowing for the first fifty five years of his life to whom he really belonged, he grabbed onto that song for his identity. I guess it is a pretty good one. I suppose it was during the funeral today that I really conceded to his taste in music. If that is what touches him, who am I to argue? I tend to like songs that sing to God instead of to one another. I can think of many of them. Holy, Holy, Holy.......Great is Thy Faithfulness......God and God Alone.....The Hallelujuh Chorus.....I could go on and on. All I have to do is look through my praise team folder and I could name dozens of them. There are three types of music in my understanding...God's Word to Us....Our love to God and our words to each other. I prefer the first two types. Sometimes I think the third group is a bit sappy, bordering on fantasy. Forgive me....just my opinion. BUT, after today, I will honor my husband's taste and respect the songs that touch his heart.

No comments: