Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving in De Motte 2008

For the first time in years, I am home on a black Friday. I am usually an early morning black Friday queen but today we have John and Kim and their family still here. If I wanted to go, I would have. I'm very content to stay at home this year. I haven't seen anything in the ads that even tempts me. For some reason I can't imagine fighting the crowds this time around. Besides I have a feeling the really good sales will be ahead of this and not particularly on this day. The slow down in the economy has given me the permission to pull back. I plan to be super smart this year. Our family Christmas will be December 28 so I have time on my side.

I goofed today and didn't get my vegetables on when they should have so we had to wait for awhile before we could eat. No one seemed to mind too much. John asked if Grandma Mary had brought pickled beets. When I told him that they were going to the other side of their family, he was bummed. Then our preacher son suggested a break in. Yep , that is what he suggested. So he and Kendra left to see if they could get in Grandpa and Grandma's house. Oh my. Just so the G and G realize I am not guilty. Once they got there they checked in the two hiding places for entry keys only to disappointed. Several minutes later they came home with a quart of beets looking like cats that ate canaries. When asked how they got in, they confessed. I won't betray their secret but I know my dad would have a conniption fit. He thinks his place is so secure. If he only knew. Now the question is; do we tell them or not? I'm leaving that up to my two thieves.

The afternoon was spent in entertaining baby Emerson and playing Scrabble. John said it was the first Scrabble game he ever won. Must have been his good behavior that got him that victory. He did a lot of complaining over my use of two letter words that he wasn't familiar with. Then he used the word Zulu. Toward the end of the game we discovered that Zulu was not an acceptable word because it is a proper noun. Kind of put the kid in his place. I'm not used to my kids beating me at Scrabble. We still let him win since we didn't discover the error in time.

Kendra and Craig left for home around six o'clock. It's a big day for them to come and go all in one day but we were happy to have them and enjoyed the time together.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Thanksgiving thievery...I LOVE it!