Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Political Opinion

Ken and I hold love and devotion to extended family on a high level of importance. Ken's cousin died over the weekend and the wake and funeral will be in Davenport Iowa tomorrow and Thursday. People's situations change all the time and for me, a five hour trip one way, a night in a hotel and five hours home is more than I can honestly say would be wise for me. We both came to the same conclusion without any struggle and felt better after we had made a unified decision. We both feel sorry that we will not be there to uphold and support Marcy, but she knows we love her and are praying for her. Hopefully, you will read this Marc, and know why you won't see us there. Our hearts break for your loss but we know the spirit of the Lord is up to the task of comforting you and filling you with new hope and new purpose. Please express our sympathy to Julie and the boys. This will be a particularly poignant loss for Julie. God bless. We will both be with you in thought and prayer.

An inauguration to remember. While there is a difference in political thought and philosophy, I now recognize Obama as my president. I will have more to say on this subject in the future as we look back but I won't risk stirring emotions or detracting from the joy of the day for most of us. I'm a sucker for pomp and circumstance so enjoyed all that it was. One of my biggest joys is watching the out going president and wife get on that helicopter and get the dickens out of the rat's nest called DC. I can't imagine the relief. Especially for George and Laura who inspite of the criticism and unkind remarks have remained gracious and dignified. I wonder what they said as they plopped down and that copter wisked them away. I know George said he will make Laura some coffee in Crawford tomorrow morning but that he didn't know what they would do after that. God bless and honor them with rest and respite. I'm guessing they need it really badly.

I was impressed with the vitality that the Carters displayed. I was saddened to see the age show on GHW Bush. CNN called his office to see what was going on and they were told that he has walked that way since a back surgery in '07. Barbara is still Barbara. What a vision of strength she is. Gotta love that woman. I felt a pang of sorrow for Cheney too as knowing him as we do would never choose to express physical weakness. And since when do presidents and vps carry their own moving boxes?

Pray for wisdom and divine insight for Obama. I can't imagine tackling even a day of the job ahead of him.

I have a high respect for each of our former presidents. Ooops, I lied. I still can't get past the lack of dignity Clinton showed to the whole world. How he can hold up his head before the world belies my understanding.

Just a bit of political opinion poll from me. If yours is different, I'd love to hear it.

No comments: