Saturday, March 24, 2007

Musing on a Saturday

I opened my eye to look at the clock and it said, 8:45. I nearly jumped out of bed until I realized I had already changed that alarm clock to east coast time. Even 7:45 is very late for this early bird. When we went to bed last night, my husband said, "alarm or no alarm?" I said no alarm so I got what I wanted. We did get awakened about 2:30 A.M. with a phone call. It was a wrong number. Wouldn't one think that one would be very careful when dailing a number in the middle of the night? Ever sense last spring when we got a phone call very early in the morning while we were still asleep that our step grandaughter had been killed, I shiver when the phone rings in the night. One knows without a doubt that a phone call in the middle of the night is rarely good news. Perhaps the birth of a grandchild, but we have none in the wings right now. Most of our older children are finished with their families and our younger ones haven't gotten started yet. I am about ready for a new baby once again. There is something so full of hope when a new baby joins the family. I think God blesses us with renewed vigor each time he blesses us with a new child. One of our sons and his wife is waiting on an adoption from China. We obviously know it will be a little girl and is expected to be less than a year old. We look forward to that joy as well. They live in Florida so unfortunately we won't be able to see her grow day to day. The idea we had when we were young and and told our kids that the world was bigger than right here in this small town has come to bite us in the back. We have only two out of eight children who live here. I have come to realize that family closeness is not blessed by having children living far away. Some of our friends have all their children within close driving distance. It truly helps the relationships to be able to attend the grandkid's soccer or basketball or baseball games, their school plays, etc. Sometimes I grieve over the distance between us and many of our grandchildren. Someone once said, "be grateful we have the kind of transportation that can take us to them in a few hours by air". I am.

No comments: