Sunday, April 22, 2007

Day of Sorrow

One year ago today, we got an early morning call with very sad news. Our daughter in law's precious sixteen year old daughter had been killed in the early morning hours following a one car accident. It has been a very difficult year for our daugther in law and son and their extended family. I spoke with my daughter in law today. What does one say to a mother who is remembering the first anniversary of her daughter's death? Susan was upbeat on the phone but I know when she hangs up the phone, there will be a different picture. Our son talks of the grieving Susan has done over the course of this year. He would give anything to make her happy again. We assure him only time and the Lord's grace can heal her bleeding heart.

Today's expected phone call was received abour 12:40 p.m. Mary Chatham, our dear son in law's mother went to her eternal reward just four weeks after her dreadful diagnosis. It is almost unbelieveable to me that Mary is no longer on this side of the Great Divide. Mary follows two of her sons to glory. Mike and Mark have been in heaven many years now and I imagine they met Mary on her entry. What a reunion that must have been. But. But...on this side of things is a brokenhearted widower and two lonely and saddened sons. Our hearts ache for them. What will Jerry do all alone down in southern Mossouri? One wonders what the future holds for him. We commit all of them, including our young daughter who expresses she feels entirely too young to experience this loss. God bless with abounding comfort the Chatham family. I think of Mary's aged aunt whom she loved like a mother and my heart aches again. I think of the twin grandsons who have seen their grandmother for the last time. At only two and a half, it is unlikely they will personally remember her. I grieve for Craig's and Kendra's future family who will be minus a grandma. "Lord, I pray that you will give me many more years of life to make up the slack. We praise you for every healthy breath and the joy of every moment of the gift called life."

No comments: