Saturday, April 21, 2007

Memories Last, Work Waits

A more beautiful day we will not see. It is gorgeous today with a brilliance of sunshine, very little breeze and mild temperatures. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have this as a steady diet. I'm fearful that if that were the case, we humans would still find something in it to complain about. No complaints today, however.
Saturdays always bring with them a tug of war; play or work? Which will it be? There is always work to be done especially when one works five of the other days of the week. This morning while talking to my friend on the phone, I asked if she thought I'd have things as tidy as I'd like them to be once I retired. Her reply was, "good luck". After I talked through the beauty of the day with her, I felt vindicated if I should decide to play instead of work. My husband suggested looking for a driving range for he and our granson to practice their swings. The first two places we visited no longer had driving ranges in operation. We made a long detour and finally found one about twenty miles in the opposite direction of our initial stop. The boys had a good time while I sat on a bench watching and rallying the troops.
Once we returned home, we received a call from our youngest daughter. She and her husband made an emergency trip to Arkansas to be at the bedside of his dear mother. Our daughter said she has never seen anything sadder. Mary isn't expected to live more than a few days. A heartbroken husband sits by her side with tear stained cheeks. Retired on a beautiful lake in southern Mosourri, Jerry and Mary, in their early sixties, were experiencing the comfort of their recently built cozy log home. When I came away from visiting them last spring, I had the impression they had a dream retirement. But illness struck in force a few short weeks ago, and here we are, at the end. Their experience has reinforced what we all know to be true and often forget. Be kind and loving to those you cherish while they are healthy and well. Don't wait until it is time to say goodbye. Life is fragile and tenuous. I am so glad I made the decision to play with my man and my grandson today. We made memories today with our grandson that not even our death can take away.

No comments: