Thursday, April 5, 2007

Spring's Fickle Weather

We were happy to experience warm soft breezes last week while in D.C.It was warm here in Indiana as well. To have warm weather at the end of March during spring break week is fairly uncommon. Just when we got used to the pleasantness of warm weather, winter came back with a fury. The temperature today is in the thirties. Yesterday, added to the cold temperature was a nasty, cold, biting wind. At least the wind has dissipated. A few snow flurries remind us that winter does not give up easily. The forsithias are blooming, as well as some of the other blooming trees and shrubs. I noticed our weeping cherry tree is just beginning to bud out. Will the blooms be able to withstand the chilly cold? The daffodils, two days ago in their splender now have bowed their heads and giving in to the strong wind. I feel sad when those things God has given us to brighten our springtimes have their all too short lives cut even shorter. We see that in humans, also, don't we? Life is short the way it is. One doesn't realize that until a mature age but it truly is over like the blinking of an eye. I think of my friend, Mary. I don't know how long she has to live, but stage four lung cancer is a terminal illness. Her life may be cut short by this cancer that has ravaged her body. I'm still grieving that news. Today is Maundy Thursday, the remembrance of Jesus's last supper with his disciples. On that night, he comforted his disciples by telling them many things which you can read about in John 13 through 17. Among the things He said are these words, "Let not your hearts be troubled, you are trusting God, now trust in me. There are many homes up there where my Father lives, and I am going to prepare them for your coming. When everything is ready, I will come and get you so that you can always be with me where I am." I pray that will be Mary's hope and comfort. I also pray the Lord will give each of us the comfort of His presence both here and now and then in heaven with Him

No comments: