Thursday, June 14, 2007

Canned Meat Not This Time

My daughter arrived with a list. On the list were things she wanted to do while she was here with her parents and family. This was what the list looked like:

1. Trip to Shipshewana
2. Garage Sale
3. Eat Dinner at Golden Corral
4. Can Meat
5. Swim

After today, we will have all but number four and five accomplished. We had a great trip to Shipshewana yesterday. That was my third trip there this spring. I think that was my last one this year, but who knows what other soul will beg to be taken there. Normally, I go there at most once a year but this year has been unusual. I have gone with different friends or family each time and it has been enjoyable. When Kendra mentioned the possibility of going to Shipsey, I said, "yes, I'll take you as long as it isn't a ninety degree day". Well, guess what, yesterday was a 90 degreee day and we survived. The humidity was down so that did help endure the warm temps. One of my older daughters, Lauri, also went along. The girls found great pleasure at the bulk food store. One can find just about anything one might desire to eat or ingredients that will make anything at that place. Many Amish shop there so they cater to their needs. We bought things like noodles, chili powder, sliced ham, carob powder, etc. I think we came home with more food than anything else.
This morning we dragged ourselves out of bed early to be on the garage sale circuit by seven thirty. The effort was a bust even though we went to at least ten. We saw nothing of value or excitement. Sometimes one finds little treasures that thrill. You know the kind. Something you always thought you may like to own but didn't feel like you wanted to spend the kind of money it would take to buy it? I did get my grandson a box of beautiful marbles. He was thrilled so I guess that made the trip worthwhile.
In about a half hour we will got to Golden Corral for an early dinner. If they don't have it, it isn't made. I so enjoy their wonderful salad and fruit bar. Our grandson eats a very limited diet when we take him there; grapes and steak. He goes back for steak a few times before his tummy is satisfied. I think Kendra has heard us talk of the place too many times so has decided it was one of her "have to attend" places. I know she will enjoy the experience.
She will get to go swimming tomorrow with Lauri and her children tomorrow. Now for number four on the list. Can meat. Going to Shipsey in ninety degree weather is one thing but to start a canning project in ninety degree weather is over the top. Mom says no. Not this time. We can do that in cooler weather. Have you ever canned meat or eaten canned meat? There isn't anything else that is more convenient than having meat already for heating to serve with whipped potatoes when time is short or unexpected company arrives. To have such convenience one takes about thirty pounds of roast beef, cuts it in chunks and puts it in canning jars. Add some salt and a couple tablespoons of water. Put the lids on, place in a canner and let it cook for some time under pressure. The meat comes out so wonderfully tender. I don't know anyone who has tasted it that hasn't loved it. My grandmother used to can beef and also chicken. I haven't done chicken because I don't like messing with the bones, but I do love to can beef because the result is so fabulous. Kendra has a good idea but it won't be this weekend. That will have to be on her next visit.
It's time to go.....we will have a good dinner today at Golden Corral, but it won't be canned meat.

No comments: