Sunday, August 26, 2007

It Looms Large

What a day! What a weekend! What a week! It has been more than a little busy for me. So this is retirement, uh? I have come to the conclusion that if I am to keep up with the entertaining and socializing schedule I've been on, I will OD. I know the solution......hire a housekeeper, chef and a gardener and I'll be all set to entertain to my heart's content. Hmmmm, may be a bit of a problem doing that economically. I guess I'll have to find another solution. Okay Lord, you have the answer to all this, please reveal that to me so that I can be all that you want me to be and reach all those you wish for me to reach with the gift of hospitality. Remember the idea I had for dinners for eight or more with folk from our church? Well, that is still in the plan but I'm not sure how I could fit it in. Perhaps, just perhaps, this wheel will begin to slow down.

The praise team I coordinate was on schedule for today. That always takes a bunch of time and planning. I enjoy the planning, stress about whether every thing is in place and then enjoy the service but it does take its toll. The first song in the order of worship today had been practiced successfully on Tuesday night and then during practice before the service simply fell apart. It was horrible. The drums were not with the keyboards and the vocals were somewhere else. We went back to that song three times and each time, it was a rough go. The Lord saw us through during the service and it went well then so that was all that mattered but it adds a bit of color to one's morning. Ken is on the sound and we also had all kinds of problems with mikes before the service. Ugh. I was glad when it was over and all had gone well. The people gathered in a church service haven't a clue how much goes into the coordination of a simple church service these days. The next time someone leads in worship in your church, encourage them with a kind word.

As soon as church ended, we high tailed it to my aunt's and uncle's home for dinner. My other uncles and aunts and my dad and his wife were in attendance as well. Ken and I were the only ones from the next generation invited. I felt quite honored. My father's sister is my delight. I so enjoy her and relish in her fellowship. She cooked a wonderful meal that all ten of us enjoyed. I hope I can do what those dear people do when I'm in my eighties.

One of the things my out of town uncle talked with me about this weekend is the publishing of my grandfather's book or story. We have done much work on it to date but there is a lot more to do. The family gave me considerable money this weekend to get this project off the ground so now I know I must get serious about all this. Tomorrow I have a committee meeting here to plan and food to prepare so I won't think about it until Tuesday. Then I must make some calls to publishers and see what would be best for our situation. We are thinking to have 200 copies made so we need to find a pub that can do that and can make it the most attractive for a reasonable cost. I think once I get at it, I will feel better about it but at the moment it looms rather big.

No comments: