Tuesday, August 21, 2007

More Potpourri

We received exciting news on Sunday morning. Our daughter, Jennifer, called to tell us she received a diamond ring from Kip Alexander. She and Kip have been dating for some time and have now decided to make it official. We couldn't be happier for her. She has been under extra stress with her job for sometime since the housing market has cooled. So this happiness comes at the right time. She told us that Kip is requiring a dowry. His requirement is a goat, a cow and a bushel of apples. Kendra looked through her nephew Ethan's toy animals and has found a small cow and a small goat. We are two thirds of the way to fulfilling the demands. I will look for a miniature bushel of apples today in a craft store in Merrillville. We plan to ship these items to Kip promptly so that we can seal the deal. Obviously, this is all for fun, and we all enjoy the game. Kip has joined in our family celebrations several times so we all feel like we know him well and can easily welcome him into our family. Plans for the wedding? I think they will elope and celebrate afterward with two parties; one in the east for his family and one somewhere in this area. We agree with their tentive plans. Jennifer is the same age as her sister Lauri, who celebrated her 40th on Sunday. Now that was a safe way of telling you Jennifer's age because she wouldn't like it if I did. Being an adult, she can make all the wedding plans herself and I can be a guest.

Today, a friend from church and I will go to Merrillville to get some supplies for tickets for our women's retreat which is in February. I worked on the brochure during the night on Sunday night when I couldn't sleep. It was perfect time to do that as I got no interruptions at all. It feels really good to have that behind me. The seven members of the retreat team will meet Monday night and resume our work after our summer break. The retreat is a highlight of my year in church life. It is so amazing what one day will do in the hearts of women. Just a week ago, a lady new to our church stopped me and asked for the words to a song that was sung at the retreat this past February. She said she is still moved by the music she heard and sang that day. For me, that is confirmation that God does visit us in a real way on that day. We have seen God work in mysterious and wonderful ways as we prepare for those special days. Our prayer is that His Spirit hovers over each person that attends. I can just imagine the walls of the church being covered with angels keeping out the attack that Satan throws at these dear ladies every day. On that day, we just enjoy Him and soak in all that He gives us.

We visited my cousin last evening. It was difficult to go to this grieving family, but once we rang the door bell, my cousin, Hope warmly welcomed us in. To go to a house of mourning is not a pleasant thing. One of Hope's little grandsons, a fourth grader, told a great uncle, "I'm going to play Amazing Grace on my guitar for Grandpa's funeral". It was just so precious to watch the expression on his cute little face outlined with blonde hair. I know my cousins family is solid in the faith and praise God that I can have the comfort that He will meet all their needs. My cousin's hopeful words were, "I have a new future now". I thought it took great grace to say those words. Her husband was only 56 years old.

No comments: