Monday, August 20, 2007

Potpourri

I had to go through Netnitco to get my internet service back. We had a severe thunderstorm during the night that messed up our connection. I get an isolated feeling when my internet service is not up. Crazy but true.

This morning my local grandchildren went to their first half day of school. There was an opening chapel and I told the kids I'd be there. Faithful grandmother, you know. I looked at the clock in the kitchen (which was blinking) and it said the time was 8:08. That meant I had 22 minutes to get to the school on time. When I started the car, the clock gave me the unfortunate news that I was LATE. It was already half over. What to do? I decided I had to at least make an appearance so by the time I got there was about ten minutes left. At least my late appearance would be noticed by my kids so they will know that I was there, albiet late. I'm generally a prompt person so this morning's experience was out of character for me.

Today, I called the high school where I worked until this new found retirement and spoke with my former colleague. We worked in the same room together for six years. I wondered how she was doing without me and learned that someone was hired for my vacated spot, that she is doing fine, and all is well. I suppose there was the tiny twinge of sadness. How can someone take my spot so quickly and be doing so well? I had prethought this whole thing way back in June and knew I was not indispensible to the school or to any of the students. School life goes on even when the faculty changes. Even though I'd like to visit sometime, I am happy not to have to go each day. I know I will find my niche in other things as the Lord brings opportunities my way.

Isaiah came home from school with a new excitement. He wasn't so eager to go this morning, but he met his new male teacher and he says, "Mr. Brinks is cool". That is good news. A male teacher is going to be very good for my grandson who has no biological father. His grandpa is his male role model but it will be good for someone younger to be influential in his life. I am very pleased and thankful.
and crashed.
My cousin's husband was killed on Saturday when the heliocopter he built himself malfunctioned and crashed. Jim was in his late fifties and was into all things fast and fun. He loved his motorcycle......ultralights.......and his latest, the heliocopter. Jim was a pretty intelligent fellow and seemed to be able to fiqure things out that would be a challenge for most. I know that he died doing what he loved but it leaves a huge vacuum in their close knit family. My heart bleeds for my cousin, Hope and her children. This will change life dramatically for all of them. I'm also saddened for Hope's mother and dad and Jim's mother. All of them are older and now experience the loss of an adult child.
The phone just rang. It was our dear friend, Leroy, whom we visited with a couple of weeks ago in Flint Michigan. I recall feeling such an urgency to visiting with Leroy and Wilma. Her health has been failing and my spirit said, it is time to see her once again. Leroy's call was not good news. Wilma had a stroke on Saturday and is hospitalized with additional health problems as well. At this point she isn't able to speak. She knows what she wants to say but can't make her tongue express it. I cannot imagine how frustrating that will be for her. Again my heart bleeds. At the end of our rather long converstation, Leroy began to break down a bit and said through shaking voice, "The Lord has laid it upon my heart that I can preach her funeral service when the time comes". I place them both in the loving hands of a God who doesn't like to see His children suffer and never intended them to have to endure these things.

No comments: