Wednesday, August 29, 2007

No Matter How Hard I Try

Our dear friends, Leroy and Wilma from Flint, called late yesterday to say that Wilma has returned to her home after ten days in the hospital. She confesses to being very weak but is also very happy to be on her own sofa and in her own bed. I pray God's blessing of peace and healing over her.

I have no prior commitments for today. A clean slate they would say. How will I fill my time? I would like to make a trip to the library to check on a couple of books I would like to buy. The library offers a service to sell books to the public for the same price for which it can buy them. I've gotten others there and the price is nearly half the suggested retail. For those that buy many books, I recommend checking with your local library to see if they will do the same.

Another thing I could do is to take the camera memory stick with our vacation pictures to CVS to print the pictures. I haven't had the time or desire to tackle that project. It will take some time in the store, choosing and then cropping and then printing. UGH. That process is so much better than it once was when we had to send in our film and then we got what we got. This way, one can choose the pictures that did turn out well. I shan't complain.

Modern technology is something I simply can't keep up with even on a common consumer level. Just about the time I have my phone figured out, I need a new one. When I realize what my camera can or can not do, I would like one that can do more. I struggle to stay ahead of simple computer programs that one really needs a knowledge of in order to stay current. Two of my daughters presented me with something called the photo viewer key chain. It is a small screen with the capability of holding 60 pictures (now I've learned that means it probably holds fifty or less). But fifty pictures is a lot of pictures to have at one's finger tips. When we went to the two family occasions last week, I didn't have any pictures with me. Some did. I always feel like a big loser mom and grandma when I show up to things like that without any pics of my family. My girls know me and decided to give this to me as a solution to that problem. Well, first, I plugged the thing into my computer to charge it, which took several hours, then I put the programer CD in and downloaded the program. I was feeling rather smug. All was going well. Suddenly, it told me the program was "termined". So I uninstalled the program and tried again. Same thing. Then I tried to call tech help. That was on Sunday. No tech help on Sunday. Monday, I tried again and after three calls got that problem solved. Since Monday, I have been attempting to download pictures off the computer. Nooooooo soap. Then I dialed tech help one more time. I was on hold for forever and decided they were sick of me and didn't want to answer my call so I gave up. A young gal that lives with us is pretty good with computers so I asked last evening if she would look at it and see if I was so dumb I was missing something obvious. To my delight, she was dumb ,too. Neither of us can figure it out, so today, I will try to call tech help the fifth time. By hook or by crook, in the near future, I will have my children's and grandchildren's pictures with me at all times.

And the Lord, the God of creation, knows it ALL. He is the master mind behind it all, technology and everything else. Doesn't it boggle one's mind to think of the store house of knowledge He has? He gives us His creatures the keys to unlock many of His secrets. Some secrets are still behind His lock and key. Many of those we would desire to have. Such as the answer to cancer. The answer to mental illness. None of our big questions are a match for Him. Let's just trust Him with all those questions for which we don't have the answers (yet).

No comments: