Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I'll Stay Tucked in His Way

Yesterday, as I prepared for the meeting last night, I turned on the television. First, Judge Judy was on. The case concerned four generations of family, the three adult generations all in conflict with one another. I won't go into detail but it made me literally sick to my stomach. I wasn't all that impressed with the way Judge Judy dealt with the participants either. She may have good morals but she certainly doesn't know how to handle people in a kind way. I made the decision, that days I am home in my retirement, I will not watch Judge Judy. I don't need that kind of upsetment in my life. Then Dr. Phil came on. I've heard he is a Christian and does good counseling. The couple featured yesterday had been married three months, had a set of twins together prior to their marriage and the woman had a couple of older kids. The man practiced a tyrannical type of discipline, the step kids hated him at this point and it didn't seem like there would be any hope for the marriage. Even though this story, too, was sickening, it seemed I couldn't turn it off because I felt I had to hear the end of the story.

This experience reminded me of the time I was a young mother and stayed home during the day caring for my baby. Soap operas were a rather new phenomenon then and I got hooked. Some months into my watching General Hospital, God revealed to me that viewing that stuff was not beneficial to me. My spirit was not quiet. Gradually on, the people on the screen had become real people to me and their problems and mistakes were becoming burdens to me. I know it sounds crazy but it was true. The feelings and mood that developed in me yesterday upon my viewing those current shows were familiar of the same feelings and moods I felt 40 years ago.

I feel strongly that God's message to me 40 years ago hasn't changed. I will not watch that stuff. It troubles me. It disturbs my peace. It frustrates me. This morning my time with the Lord was particularly sweet. I felt like He was in the chair next to me listening to my heart crying out to Him on behalf of those I love and know. This verse popped off the page of my prayer book........
"You, O Lord , give wisdom;
From Your mouth come knowledge and understanding,
You store up sound wisdom for the upright;
You are a shield to those who walk in integrity,
Guarding the paths of the just
And protecting the way of Your saints. " Proverbs 2:6-8

Pray for wisdom in all your ways. There aren't many gifts that are as important. I wish to keep trusting Him for wisdom in my life.

No comments: