Thursday, August 2, 2007

Sixty five Years Ago............

It's been difficult to get to this blog this morning. The phone is ringing off the hook with well wishes from many of those I love. Thank you to all for the birthday smiles being flashed my way. I thought this morning how grateful I am to be alive. I've had a close call and a few scares. I've never felt "ready" as some talk of. Oh yes, I'm saved and have complete assurance that I will spend "forever" with Jesus, but I'm still enjoying my life. Some make me feel guilty to talk so but then I remind myself that God created us to LIVE. I love the people in my life, my husband, my children and spouses, their children and of course, I still have my father and his wife to love as well. Then there are the friends whom I love, dozens of them. I am so grateful for friends. Sometimes we need friends with whom we can share those struggles that we can't share with family. It's just the way it is. Of course there are many things families share that one wouldn't share with a friend. Family members and friends fill different needs in our lives.

A couple of things I would like to remember this morning.......

My mother died at fifty seven years old. I have already lived eight years longer. I praise God for that extra time and ask him for more years that I can enjoy with those I love. So today, I celebrate the gift of LIFE.

I'm still with the man that I fell in love and married nearly 45 years ago. I'm thankful for that. I'm sure our children are thankful for that, also. An intact family is the best kind of family. Thank you for those graces, Lord. It hasn't always been easy but God has always made a way.

The Lord has been so good to us and particularly to me. I admitted to someone the other day, I think it was one of my daughters that I know I'm spoiled. I don't mean that I've rotted but I mean that my husband and my kids are oh so good to me and I sense they want me to be happy.

I enjoy good health today. There are limitations but I feel great and praise the Lord for strength when I get up in the morning. My muscles reminded me when I arose this morning that they allowed me to bowl three games yesterday but I could still get up and carry on. Thank you, Lord.

I used to fight old age. I mean I wouldn't admit my age for anything. I always told my students that I was eighty seven and that would be all they would find out. Today, I am sixty five years old. I don't care how many people know it. God has given me the grace to embrace my age and thank Him for the blessing it represents. No more pretending.

I just tried on a new swimsuit to get Kendra's approval. Gotta have those daughter's approval, you know. As I looked into the mirror I was reminded that the body doesn't look like it once did. Then I smugly thought, "For sixty five, I don't think it is too bad". When one looks around, one can always find worse, so that's what I've been doing. No, just kidding. But again, I'll embrace it, cellulite and all.

I live in a land of freedom and plenty. Where else in the world do common people go out for lunch and dinner all in the same day? We are so blessed. I am so blessed. Last night we went to the river restaurant for my birthday dinner. Today, we will go out for lunch somewhere, don't know where that will be yet. Then tonight, who knows??? God is good.




No comments: