Friday, September 28, 2007

Chirstmas in September

Christmas cards already? Yep, today is card making day for my daughter, her friends, and little ole me. This is my first time to join them as I am now free during the day. One of Lauri's friends comes to her home two days each fall from Grand Rapids and the girls get their Christmas cards made. I love making cards so have always been a bit envious of their project. I can't wait to jump into it. Their cards are memorable and they like the responses they get from friends and relatives. We will have to see if I can match their standard. They have been doing this annual ritual for years. I recall going there after school and finding the house in disarray as children of all ages played while moms made cards. Kids and moms alike had fun. Now Lauri's children are all in school but the friends have a few young ones. Should be an interesting and delightful day. I am honored they will allow me to join them.



For some reason, my right shoulder is giving me fits. Over the years, I have had trouble with my left shoulder, but never my right for which I was always thankful. Two days ago I felt a twinge and now it is full blown pain. I'm going to try alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen and try the exercises the chiropracter gave to me another time I struggled. I'm also applying ice for ten minutes out of every hour, another remedy suggested at an earlier time. I know compared to many people's trials this is a drop in the bucket, however, I also know that pain is a difficult thing to endure so if this doesn't let up soon, I'll be knocking on my doctor's door. When I have these joint problems he likes to shoot me up with something in those joints. His done that twice; once in my left shoulder and once in my right hip. I don't know if they helped or not. As a person with a profound wholistic philosophy, I'm not too eager to do that, but if that is the only way to relief, I will succumb. Wholistic living is a great challenge in our society. Sometimes I tire of bucking the system.

Yesterday, Lauri and I scratched our head over where we would have Kendra's baby shower. After some calls and some scary prices, we found what we think is nearly the perfect place. We have an attraction about ten miles away along the interstate called Dairy Adventure. If you haven't been there, you must go. The tour alone is worth the seven dollar price tag (for adults). Without purchasing a ticket one can visit the cheese store and little restaurant they have. The best cheese and ice cream in the world is offered there. We decided to call them to see if they have a room to rent. They said they do and so we told them we were on our way over there to look at it. The room is very roomy and light. I liked it. It's only draw back is that there are several steps to climb to get there. That will be a challenge for a couple of our guests. On the other hand, we are trying to hostess a baby shower and a family reunion of my father's family all the same day. We learned the dairy is having an October fest each weekend now and have hay rides, corn mazes, a huge built in trampoline called "the pillow", a little train for young children to ride, special games for kids, all in addition to their birthing barn where one can sit and watch calves come into the world. We liked the idea so our plans are set. The shower will be at 11 in the morning and the guys and children can all play and tour all the things the adventure is offerring while the ladies and girls are having a shower upstairs in "the room". The group rate is five dollars a person.

Three of the men that own dairies and are part owners of the Dairy Adventure are members of our church. They are assets to our community and to our church. I have worked on the worship committee for about five years with one of them so he and I have become friends. I noticed that while I was at the dairy adventure building, I felt quite at home. That is important to me when I'm going to host a party. I am also acquainted with the manager of the adventure. All those connections are important for me. I know that may seem a bit strange but it is comforting to me that the people involved and supporting that business have the same core values we have. They have created a wonderful educational and entertaining opportunity and our community is a richer place because of it.

No comments: