Monday, September 17, 2007

The Day After the Sunday Before

Yesterday was Sunday and we were in our own church for a change. We have been out and about so many weekends that we have missed fellowshiping and worshiping with our own church family. It was so good to see all those dear people again. The thought occurred to me that this is truly a close knit family of God. The goal is to make all those that atttend feel that confident and comfortable in the fellowship of the family. That isn't easy since many people have developed close relationships with others over the course of years and enveloping others into those relationships is difficult. But, it must be done. I'm still thinking about those Dinners for Eight that I was planning to host during my retirement years. I sit in in church and think, I should invite that couple or that person. I feel the time getting closer to trying my first one. It is risky. Pray that I'll be courageous. I believe in the depths of my heart that it is so important to exercise the gift of hospitality. I recall many years ago, one of our best male friends urging me to exercise that gift. At that time in my life, I was parenting several of our younger children and working full time and volunteering for jobs in the church. I wanted to hit him. I thought, "and just when would you like me to fit that in, too?". Now that my parenting role is nearly complete and retirement has arrived, I am left with no excuse.



After church we hurried home to grill some chicken and throw some potatoes in the microwave. We downed the meal and headed to Gary to attend the final game of the season for the Gary Southshore Railcats, a minor league baseball team. We have attended a couple of games for the last couple seasons but hadn't been able to get out there this summer yet. This was our last chance as they played for the Northern Division championship. The park is such a beautiful place and kept very clean. It is placed in an area that is depressed all around and yet the park itself is a delight to visit. It is easy to access as it is only a block to parking once one exits the toll road. Parking is free and easy. We haven't accomplished our goal to take our greater family there yet but it is a great place to take kids. The team usually has many give aways and also has activities on the field for kids in between innings. We find the experience delightful and we weren't disappointed yesterday. The Railcats pulled off winning the division. The game was entertaining and the celebration was wonderful. We both were surprised to see that there were no fans leaving after the game but everyone continued to stand in celebration of the victory. We had to leave to get back for evening church and while we got into our car, we could still hear the roar of victory. We left with a smile and the question in our minds, why don't we do this more often?

This morning I plan to go one more time to the printer and make sure they have made all the needed corrections on the women's retreat brochures before printing. Bill from the print shop called and told me they plan to print them today. I told him I'd be there at nine oclock to make sure everything was correct before they printed. He must think I'm anal about these brochures and I guess I can confess to that, but mistakes on things that are printed just aren't good. When I was at the printer last week, we went over that brochure with a fine tooth comb and made several changes. When I got it home and looked it over again, I found at least five things that needed some adjustment. That is what makes my effort to publish my grandfather's book such a huge undertaking. The thing has to be print ready when I send it to the publisher which will be sent over the internet. Makes me shudder. Approximately 190 pages of text and pictures that must have all the i's dotted and t's crossed. I pray the Lord will give me keen eyes to find any mistakes I may have made.

I think of people I love and consider all the things in their lives that need the touch of God. Our friends in Flint that struggle with the wife's fragile health, my friend's adult child who stands in danger of losing her home, people from church that struggle with cancer, people whose loved ones are aging and frail, folks who have lost loved ones and live each day with the weight of sorrow.....the list goes on.......Lord, together we lift all these people and those who are needy that are on the minds of the people that read this print and ask for you to reach into the lives of the needy and shed your warm light of hope and comfort to each one. We place each one in your arms of ability. We know you are able, we trust you to do what is best. That song, "We Need Thee Every Hour" comes to mind. Without your grace each moment, there would be no breath. We praise you Lord and invite you in the midst of our lives.

No comments: