Tuesday, September 18, 2007

No Blue Mondays for Me

The trip to the printer resulted in a delay in the presses. The print shop director thought we should look over another proof after the changes will be made. I was all for that decision and so as soon as I see a perfect proof they will start the presses. A student at Christian Haven, a place for kids in trouble or troubled kids, is doing the graphics work. He is only fifteen years old. He knows the program well and is so willing to serve me. I am impressed with this kid and pray God's light of truth will shine in his life. Most of the kids at this institution have difficult family situations. It is truly hard to pick up one's life in confidence when one has been told he/she isn't wanted. Poor kids.

My trip to Christian Haven takes me right passed the school I worked in for sixteen years. I decided I would make my first visit after throwing in my towel. To my delight, I was received with many hugs and wide smiles. It reminded me again how much I love those kids. The young gal that took my place is doing a good job. I reviewed the failure list with her and shared my knowledge of the kids I worked with in the past. She commented that the number of students that need help is beyond her capability to reach. How well I know that feeling. I told her to do what she could and help those that are willing. Some students choose to fail and one can't do anything to change their mind. For some reason, I didn't have a burning desire to go back to work, though to help once in awhile may not be all bad.

I met my friend, Bernice, around noon and together we visited an elderly lady from our church who lives in Momence, Illinois. She isn't able to walk well so as a result doesn't get out very often. She loves the visits Bernice makes to her and realized that I was there because I had retired. She told me I could come and visit as often as I liked. It doesn't take a lot of effort to bring a ray of sunshine into another's life.

Another visit was to St Anthony's Hospital to see a man from our church who has a mysterious pain in his stomach after gall bladder surgery. He was home a week and then couldn't deal with the pain any longer. Three doctors and all have a different diagnosis. He was discouraged. Who could blame him? He spoke the thoughts of his heart which were, "I should be back to work to be taking care of my family and here I lay". I pray the true reason for his pain reveals itself today.

We enjoyed visiting a huge greenhouse in Grant Park, Illinois. The people that own that business allowed us to borrow many beautiful things with which to decorate for our women's retreat in February. We walked through blocks and blocks of different plants and were amazed again at God's variety in creation. There were scads of different types of ornamental grasses, many of which were unfamiliar to me. The fall mums and decorative cabbages were delightful. Of course, I came home with a few to brighten my sidewalk. It is worth the trip just to view the beauty enclosed in those buildings.

The temperatures are warmer again. I could feel it as soon as I dragged myself from between the sheets this morning. I like it warm so will relish in the next few days of comfort. Fall is a beautiful time of the year. It is also a precursor to winter. I try not to think of the later. I will just delight in the goodness of the Lord, today.

No comments: