Saturday, September 8, 2007

Honor Your Parents in the Lord

Early this evening, Ken and Isaiah and I met my brother, Jerry and his wife, Luann, at Bethel church to get our poop in a group for tomorrow morning's anniversary celebration. We walked ourselves through our needs and brought tables and chairs to the entry from the basement so that our setup can be rather speedy. We want to wait until church begins so as not to disturb the gathering of the congregation. I went to Costco today and picked up four cakes; each will serve 48. Hopefully, that will be enough cake. They look very pretty and I must remember to have someone take pictures especially for the sake of my brother and sister who will not be with us and my two step sisters who also live a distance away and won't be able to join us. I picked up a beautiful bouquet of flowers from Costco in salmon and pink tones. Salmon is my step mother's favorite color so that had to be the choice. I have them in a wonderful tall white vase that was a gift many years ago from one of my daughters. It is rare to get a large enough bouquet to do the vase justice but I think we have met the match.

I tried my best today to search for Dad's and Mary's wedding picture to set up on the cake table but I failed to find it. I'm sorry to say that my pictures are helter skelter and it is difficult to find something specific on the spur of the moment and of course, it was the spur of the moment. The only thing I can think to do is to raid their house tomorrow morning after they have gone to church. I think I know exactly where their wedding album is. However, I don't know that we have the extra man power to do that. We will see. I always think I can clone myself and do two or three things at the same time and it doesn't work. But, I think it would be nice.

My friend, Norma, called today and offered to help. She and I were best friends as school girls and we still are in friendly love. She belongs to the church my parents attend and has worked closely with Mary in a women's Bible study. She is so kind to Mary and tries to help Mary when her ears fail her. Sometimes it is obvious that when in a crowd, Mary misses some of the conversation and Norma makes sure she fills her in. I love her for that. Norma told me she would be honored to help us serve tomorrow. Bless her.

We have heard that several people from Bethel are excited about honoring my parents. That feels good. Dad and Mary are the oldest members of that congregation and instead of needing help, they provide it. Many people appreciate their energy and willingness to lend a hand. May God be praised for their health and strength. "Oh, Lord, when you are finished with them on this side of heaven, just stop their heart and take them home." It is my prayer that they will not become sick or suffer.

My sister called my parents today from Florida. She extended her congratulations. Mary said, "We have gotten so many cards this year." When my sister called me this afternoon and related that story we smiled together on the phone as we know why they have gotten so many cards. It feels good to bless them. They have blessed us over and over.

Until tomorrow, I have a one track mind. I keep running everything through my mind to make sure I'm not missing anything. My collection of glass water pitchers is in the dishwasher.........the candy dish for the mixed nuts is in a towel ready to go...........the paper goods are all brought to church......

Oh yes, I thought I'd best call Dad or Mary today and see what their plans are for tomorrow. It would be just my luck that they decided to go away for the day. Dad answered the phone and I asked how they had decided they would spend their anniversary day. His reply was, "Well, we plan to get up in the morning.........", my heart stopped for a second.........."then when night comes we will go to bed". Phew! For a moment there I thought they were going somewhere. It kind of made me wonder if they have gotten wind of this thing. I wonder if they will confess if they have heard about it. We will see. I have an excitement in my heart. Even at age 65, my heart gets delighted when I plan to honor my parents.

No comments: