Friday, September 7, 2007

Misc. Duties

Overcast and gloomy. The morning has dawned but with no sun to warm my heart. The weather man said rain was supposed to fall during the night. I think it waited for today but it hasn't begun yet. When I walked into the bedroom this morning after my husband had just risen from his bed, I asked, "What's up for you today?" His answer was, "Not sure, what's up with you?" My answer was the same. I suggested a couple of "honey do" jobs but didn't get much response. So there is truly a clean slate in front of us for today. In my devotions this morning, I asked the Lord to lead me to do His will today. One wonders what that will be. Perhaps He thinks its time for us to get some work done around here, but then there could be surprises in the wings. Time well tell. Ken has gone to town to enjoy his morning ritual with his friends. I'm not sure the main thing is the cup of coffee or the conversation that occurs. And they say women talk alot. His leaving each morning gives me time to get things ready for my day.

Yesterday, I went to my favorite hunting ground, Merrillville. I had a few things to get accomplished. First I took the huge picture I had made of my grandfather in front of a fur trading post in Montana in to Hobby Lobby to have it framed. I have been moving it around here at home and could see it wasn't going to take that kind of treatment well so decided I would bite the bullet and shell out the shekels for framing. This week, one of the HL specials was 50% off custom framing Good thing. I can't imagine paying regular price. I'm excited about seeing the completed project in a couple of weeks. The wall behind our TV is waiting for the placement of that family treasure.

After that, I went to Office Depot to have Christine (their girl behind the counter that does all my work) copy old photos of the DeHaan side of my family. I'm hoping to set up a display of old family photos for that family reunion coming up in October. The reproductions turned out better than the originals which happens a lot these days with digital capabilities. In the evening, I returned the originals to the lady I had tea with on Tuesday morning. Project complete there.

Dusting my hands of those things that needed doing, I felt I had accomplished a bunch. Next project at hand. I had to get paper goods for Sunday. I don't think I mentioned that my father and his second wife are celebrating their 30th anniversary this coming Sunday. I thought and thought of what to do to recognize their accomplishment. The family has been traveling so much lately to celebrate this and that occasion. Our niece is getting married in a couple of weeks in Wisconsin so I knew to expect people to travel once more was over the edge. Dad's and Mary's church family is so dear to them so I came up with a plan to incorporate the church family into a celebration. After several phone calls which met with complete approval and cooperation, we are planning to serve cake and coffee and lemonade to the 200 members of the Bethel church family Sunday morning after church out on the lawn. We are praying for good weather. I visited Gordon Foods and got all the paper goods I needed. I got a couple of plastic white table cloths since cloth wouldn't be too smart with all that frosting. They also had table skirts. I looked at those skirts and envisioned the scene on the lawn with tables without skirts or with skirts and decided it was no contest. I bought the skirts. It should look lovely. I will pick up the cakes from Costco tomorrow and we shall be ready. We placed little notes in the church member's mail boxes last Sunday so they are informed and prepared to stay. Obviously, we didn't put one in Dad's and Mary's box as we hope this will remain a surprise until they open their church bulletin and read the invitation. Mary isn't one to be the center of attention but I hope she will feel comfortable with the people that she serves on a weekly basis. She is always doing for someone. I stopped there on Tuesday and Dad was walking out the door with a plate of muffins to deliver to a lady that had fallen. What servants they are.

The search for a publisher for my grandfather's story is in progress. I finally started yesterday and made a bit of progress. I feel like I have put everything together and now stand before this huge mountain of which I know nothing about; publishing. I don't want to get taken, if you know what I mean. My uncle has a resource he has uncovered so I hope to speak with that company today. UGH. I know once I'm on the road into this mountain, I'll be inspired again but right now it seems almost more than I care to tackle. I want it to be perfect and I'm not sure I can accomplish that perfection........

TGIF. I can't believe it, but everyday is TGIF for me these days. My daughter groaned as she turned over in her bed and said, "I don't want to go to work". I leaned into her door and said with a smile, "I don't have to." I'm sure that thrilled her.

No comments: