Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Pity Party

I am a follower of Christ and have been redeemed in and through Him, but let me tell ya, it's a process and the process isn't fulfilled just yet. This morning I was having a pity party. I got up about five thirty and came down to my computer to work on "The Book". You know, the one that is all about my grandfather and his writings. This has been a project in process for several years and its getting close enough to completion that I'm tasting it, therefore, every waking moment that isn't controlled by something or someone else has me in the clutches of "The Book". So, I heard my daughter get Isaiah up to ready for school, which is something that usually is my job and I have enjoyed it for all of his school days. I heard him in the shower and was assured the morning activity here in the De Vries household was on schedule. My mind got very involved in what I was doing and suddenly there was an eleven year old boy standing next to me saying, "Grandma, are you going to take me to school?"
"Take you to school? I wasn't aware that I was supposed to take you to school."
"Well, that is what my mom told me."
"She didn't tell me".

I calmly got out of my chair and went upstairs to tell Grandpa he should take Isaiah along when he went to town ( a daily trip at this time of day but usually earlier). "I'm not going to town" says he. "Why not?", says me. He explained he had some stuff to do before he could leave for the day. So there we are as the minutes are ticking away. I finally went to the bedroom and pulled yesterday's worn clothes off the chair and put them over a dirty body. Then I walked out the door with teeth unbrushed and hair disheveled. As we rode to town, two things were on my mind. I was guarding myself so that Isaiah wouldn't pick up on my mood. Secondly, I was allowing myself to have this pity party with thoughts such as, "Why is it ALWAYS me that has to pick up the pieces around here?"

When we got to school we waited in line for dropoff. When Isaiah got on out of the car, his last words to me were, "Love ya!". Aw shucks, I didn't mind picking up the pieces after all.

No comments: