Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Planting and Watering Seeds

One other story I choose not to forget. Last evening while I was working at my computer, the phone rang and the call was for me. I was delighted to hear it was a student of mine from the high school. She is a senior this year and pretty miffed at me for retiring. I heard she had a really tough summer and so we talked about that a bit. Suddenly she said, "I'm going to Target and can't find a soul to go with me". The ever ready one to go to Merrillville said, "I'll go with you, Becca." She was surprised and said, "You will?" When I confirmed the offer she told me to get my shoes on and she would be right over.

The time with Becca gave us lots of time to "talk" about the really important things in life like, boys, songs, really neat car radios, loud speakers, etc. We also talked about life and the things God expects of us and the truth about things in life. I love Becca with all my heart and pray the best for her. She is a sharp kid with a bit of a sharp response. I talked with her mom tonight and she told me Becca even tells doctors to get lost. There's part of that I love. Too many people believe everything someone tells them and do everything suggested. Becca challenges any advice thrown her way. "Why" is her favorite word.

We spent a bunch of time in Target and I taught her to run the perimeter to search for clearance deals. She laughed at me (but I'll bet she'll be running the perimeter from now on). I told her I had a few errands to run so she took me to Hobby Lobby (to pick up my big picture which she thought was a hoot), to Office Depot, and of course to Starbucks. Her favorite Starbucks is in Barnes and Noble. I told her I hadn't been to that one before so she took me to her fav. We enjoyed the best of Starbucks and then headed home. When we got to our house, I invited her inside. She sat in the living room with me and chatted for awhile, seemingly not in a hurry to leave.

Becca is just one of the kids in which I hope I have planted seeds. Seeds that will sprout a life of holiness. I know her parents have taught her the same but sometimes kids have a bit of a rebellious spirit and need other adults to confirm what they hear at home. I thank God for the opportunity to water those seeds last evening.

No comments: