Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Win For God

I've been looking through the thousand or more slides that my dad took over the years in search of some pictures of gatherings of my mother's side of the family. I recall pictures of my grandparent's fortieth anniversary party. Three of my cousins, one from each family, were all the same age and looked so cute on one of the pictures I remembered. I mentioned those pictures to my dad several times and he couldn't remember them. I began to think they were a figment of my imagination. I looked through all but two boxes containing at least twenty five or thirty cartridges. Last evening, I ploughed through the rest and "Hallelujah", the lost was found. I am so tickled. They are the best pictures of all the cousins together as children. I had Ken take them up to CVS this morning to have prints made for my picture boards for the upcoming reunion. One more task accomplished.

Many other memories were triggered while looking at those slides on a light box. Tons of pictures of scenery that means nearly nothing at this point. But the ones with people on them....now those are treasures. I found many pictures of my siblings and I at different stages of our childhood. My youngest brother's baby pictures warmed my heart. He was born when I was twelve and I still feel like a second mother to him. There were shots taken at the welcome to the new pastor some fifty years ago. Reverend Van Someron was in his late fifties when he took the pastorate at our church. There were those that thought he was too old. During his tenure at our church we had a youth group that had never been so vibrant. About fifty kids from all over town and different churches came to listen to this dear man. Rev. Van Someron related to young and old alike. He was one of a kind.

Recently I read an article that talked about how much ministers meant to kids in the past. The writer was concerned that in our day and age, many churches send their children off to children's church and as a result, children in many churches don't know their pastor very well. I have been thinking on that for a few weeks attempting to develop my own take of that concern. Sunday, my nine year old grandaughter, Mackenna, came to me and said, "Guess what, Grandma? I got a card from Pastor Laryn and Mrs. Leta for my birthday!" She was so excited about receiving that card from her Pastor. I decided, some kids still know their pastors well and continue to find them to be a role model in their lives. The love Mackenna felt from her pastor and wife will leave a memorably warm spot in her heart for not only Pastor Laryn but also the pastors she will have in the future. Good job, Pastor Laryn and Leta! They serve a big church so I know it is a huge job to send kids birthday cards, but what a way to win for God.

No comments: