Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Oh God, Protect Us

It's 45 degrees on the thermometer outside Isaiah's bedroom window this morning. Brrrrrr. A taste of what's to come. Makes our thoughts of Arizona in January all the more appealing. Look out Southwest, we will be coming. (God willing that is) When I was a kid and heard my grandparents was the phrase I put in parenthesis, I would think, "What do they have to say that for every time they talk of doing something in the future?" Well, I'm there now and I completely understanding the purpose of that saying. The more years one lives the more one understands that all our plans are good only if God allows those plans to happen and places His blessing on them. I don't recall when the time came in my life that I surrrendered to that truth. I think it was a gradual process and and a growing process.

Ken left in shorts this morning to golf. I asked if he didn't think he might be cold. His reply was that he would be fine. I wonder if he is thinking of his wife's better judgement by now.

I stopped at my friend's, Bernice's, home late yesterday morning. She appeared to be ready to go somewhere. When I asked where she was headed, she said she thought she would go to visit some people. Bernice would say she doesn't do anything special for God and yet she is always bringing cheer to others. I asked her if she would like me to go with her and when it was apparent we would both be delighted with that arrangement we left for Oak Grove. Oak Grove is the retirement center in town. It is approximately eight years old and absolutely beautiful. Bernice had the mission to visit the mother of our church secretary. Carolyn is in the Shepherd's care unit for people with Ahlzeimers. We had been at a Christmas party with Carolyn only nine short months ago and I was shocked to see the failure since that time. Not surprisingly, she didn't know us and seemed unmoved to have company. Carolyn and Bernice both grew up in northwest Iowa where the song, Souix City Sue, was a favorite. Bernice began to sing the song and Carolyn sang clearly as she closed her eyes in an attempt to recall the all familiar. If one could show emotion, it would bring a sob. It was so precious and yet so very sad. When she said she thought she should go home now, (she was home), we pushed her in the wheel chair into the common area. Bernice sang the song one more time and Carolyn again joined it with eyes closed. The others in the room clapped upon the completion. As we walked out of the area, Bernice and I groaned with empathy for all those there that couldn't keep their thoughts straight any longer. God grant grace to each family going through such a time as this. My prayer is that God spares me and those I love from such a pitiful end.

No comments: